When will the US get the new Golf?

I love a hatchback. The A3 is really nice, but too much money for me. When will VW sell the new Golf to us Yankees?

Reply to
higgledy

Spring '06.

I like the A3 too although while it's clean/handsome, it's not "OMG wow I hafto have it!" either (although that's a personal/subjective thing).

Although if you do like the A3, consider a base model (w/o leather) and minimal or no options. You can get away with one of those for MSRP around $26K or so.

Reply to
Matt B.

The A3 should be in the US between March and June, 2006. The GTI is arriving now. If, as you say, the Golf is "too much money" you'll have to wait 'til 2007/08 for the possible (unlikely) introduction of a Polo-type VW in the US.

If you like hatchbacks, several nice small hatches are coming to the USA this spring from Honda (the Fit), Nissan (the Versa) and Toyota (the Yaris). All cheaper than the Golf - and probably more fuel efficient. Not as "fun to drive" I'll bet...

Reply to
jpmccormac

Re: "The A3 should be in the US between March and June, 2006." I meant the Mark V Golf, not the A3, of course.

Reply to
jpmccormac

The problem, IMO, is that the Golf will not be offered in a sporty-oriented 5-door model. I'll bet this is an attempt to reduce competition vs. the A3. Personally, if I were in the market for a car right now (or in a few months), I'd give serious consideration to both the Golf (GTI) and the A3 2.0T, but I'd really prefer 5 doors over 3, which means I'd have to spend more on the Audi, even though a 5-door Golf 2.0T would suit just fine...

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Hunh. Just got this month's C&D, and it sez that there will be a 5-door GTI after all. Hope that turns out to be true.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I've heard this rumor in a few places as well. The 3-door will precede it and the 5-door is a delayed introduction but it is supposed to make it here eventually.

Reply to
Matt B.

USA this spring from Honda (the Fit), Nissan (the Versa) and Toyota (the Yaris). All cheaper than the Golf - and probably more fuel efficient. Not as "fun to drive" I'll bet...

Agree. and not as safe as a Golf either. I like the Scion xB, it is roomy, cheap, efficient. But I have this feeling the if got t-boned, even at low speed, that I might be dead in that car. Do you think I am right on the Scion xB?

Reply to
higgledy

Why the big delay? Isn't the new Golf the same as the current A3? If so, this car has been in the US for a year. Just ship the Golf already!

Reply to
higgledy

June, according to C&D, vs. next month for the 3-door.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

And all those are smaller than the Golf which is why they're cheaper. They are not in the same class of car and can't be really compared to a Golf. They're at least one class below the Golf (like a Polo).

Reply to
Matt B.

Yes it's the same architecture as the A3. Not sure what the delay is, esp. since the Golf Mk5 has been in production for 1.5 to 2 years now for overseas markets. Must be a (weird) strategic decision on VWoA's part.

Reply to
Matt B.

Why weird? You still need to pass the compulsory certification procedure in order to start selling the car. And considering the Golf is not exactly the bestseller in the USA, the priority in this segment was given to the more popular cars such as Jetta.

Reply to
draugaz

Reply to
none2u

Re: "And all those are smaller than the Golf which is why they're cheaper. "

Actually, the interior dimensions of the Honda Fit are almost exactly the same as my '96 Golf GL - and the ULTR seating arrangements are more versatile. Check it out here:

I'm not in love with the Fit's exterior styling, but I'll bet it won't be in the shop for repairs as much as the new Golf. And the base price is thousands less.

Reply to
jpmccormac

It's nothing new. VW generally delays the release of new models to the US by 1-2 years vs. the European release. Frankly I prefer it that way; let the Euros work out all the bugs for us (or most of them, at least). ;-)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Yeah, that's "unbiased" for ya...

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

That's a fair comparison, eh? Comparing a brand new car to a

10-year-old one?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I wish I knew that two months ago. I just recently returned from living in Germany for the past two years. While there I rented Golfs several times and absolutely loved 'em. Needing a new car upon my arrival in the US, I bought a US spec 2006 Golf, sight unseen, and arranged to be met at the airport by the salesman with my new Golf. Two minutes after he drove away, I started noticing that things were different. Waaaay different. WTF???? :^)

A week later, I discovered this newsgroup (dunno why I didn't think of looking for it months ago) and learned for the first time that the Euro spec and US spec Golfs weren't alike. So...even though I was expecting to take delivery of what I now know is an A5 Golf, I'm still really happy with my A4.

Reply to
Agua Noggin

I don't recall suggesting that US and Euro models were identical.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith