Guessing approximate depreciation in coming year(s).

I guess this is something that a lot of us would be interested in, but I can't seem to find any way of figuring out how to go about this.

I have a 85K miles, 6 year old BMW 2000 323i 4dr sedan . From the dealer price 2 years back (24500) to its current KBB value (15500), it has depreciated $9000.

I am in a situation where I just *need* to figure out the monthly depreciation of this car for the next 1 or 2 years. Is there any way of finding this out? Assuming excellent condition and 15K per year mileage.

Surely, the rate won't be 4500/year cause that way in 3.5 years this car would be at $0 !? Logically, the depreciation rate should fall every year (highest in the 1st year, and gradually decreasing every year after that). Is this assumption correct?

Is KBB/Edmunds etc based on statistical data on local sale prices? Or is there a way to approximately predict the value after a year or two.

Any information will be highly appreciated!

Thanks

Reply to
mydevnull

It would seem that the declining balance method of depreciation would be the most appropriate. Looking at KBB values across 4 years centered on 2000 it looks like your car will depreciate about 20% per year for the next couple of years. So if the current value is $15500, then the depreciation for the next year will be $3100 or about $250 per month. This leaves the residual value at $12400 for the next year and then the depreciation would be $2480 or about $200 per month and be worth about $10000 after two years. You can get a more accurate figure by plugging the appropriate mileage, condition, and options information into KBB.

Reply to
Jack