High milage 750i

1995.

Any know vices with these cars?

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Google "nikasil bmw".

Reply to
JimV

The "nikasil" issue only appeared on V8 engines of that period, i.e.,

3.0l, 4.0l V8s. The 750i is a V12 and didn't have that problem....
Reply to
bfd

Further, the main problem with 750i is the fact that it is a complex car with 2 of everything. Do a search for the E31 850i "Buyer's Guide" written and posted here by Mike Brown. Lots of good stuff that's very applicable to E32/38 750i owners!

Reply to
bfd

Well a few links come up, none with the guide, some with further references to it and some with some sort of malware: -

Intrusion: BD Blade Runner 0.80a. Intruder: localhost(5400). Risk Level: High. Protocol: TCP. Attacked IP: localhost. Attacked Port: 2646.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Try this link for part 1:

's+Guide&rnum=2#c5ec9efb31c3dd0e part 2:

's+guide&rnum=1#0edecbd6701b1a68

Reply to
bfd

I recently embarked on a mission to purchase a "big car for road trips for under $5,000"

this search led me to BMW's as the best choice; 750's pushed my limit -- but it seemed to me that the cars in my price range (ultimately below 9K) was this:

6cylinders were treated MUCH better V8's appeared to have the most "problems" (head gaskets appearing to be a major problem) V12's looked to be a nightmare, and they all had (the ones I looked at) lots of oil on the exterior of the engine.

The "higher horse power" seemed to get 2nd or 3rd owners to drive them more like sports cars, whereas the 6's appeared to have been more taken care of as "nice cars".

I'm not an expert, but for the v12's check: Oil leaks Head gasket leaks The tube going UNDER the intake manifolds tends to rot out after a bit... check that there is no coolant visible thru the intake manifold on the top of the block.

And -- there's two of everyting -- it's like "let's make a v12" "hey; this 6 is pretty good, let's put two together" -- you ahve two ECU's two distributors, two....

The 750's are a nice car -- Spend a little more and buy one from the 1st owner or from a dealer w/ warranty...

-j

Josh Assing

Malware. Which is pretty much what you have to expect if you're daft enough to be thinking of buying a 10+ year old 750/850 without budgeting *thousands and thousands* for annual maintenance.

There's a good reason that those cars are dirt cheap, you know. If you don't know, go ahead any buy one. A half decent ten year old 850 is as little as $15K, a 750 even less. Feeling lucky, punk?

(smileys, and all that.)

Reply to
Dean Dark

Dan's message is valid - they are too expensive to maintain. You might think Dan's attitude stinks but I think he meant "punt" instead of "punk".

Reply to
Larry

Aw. I was just playing to the gallery, for effect, you know...

Good point.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Only on the M52 and M60, the V12 was OK in this regard.

Reply to
John Burns