is250 vs. 325i

My 1992 SC400 (196K miles) has never had a burned out headlight (high or low beam), tail light, or directional signal (front or rear) bulb. I bought it new in Aug, 1991.

However, the red instrument needles all (speedo, tach, water temp, fuel level) gave up before I had them rebuilt. Also had to replace "fogged/leaking" climate control LCD (but none of the backlight bulbs had burned out in instrument cluster or climate control, although I replaced them anyway on rebuild).

Also had a 1991 LS400 for many years and only had one tail light bulb go bad in that.

Reply to
Xplant

I've had to replace almost every single outside bulb on my 2004 Volvo S60 T5 and the low beams at least twice. The only one's that haven't gone "zzt" are the high beams. My 97 Acura 3.0CL has 176k miles and all the original bulbs. Why?

Sam S.

Reply to
Sam Savoca

The answer is simple--better parts, higher quality system. (The Volvo is just a Ford.)

Now, the REAL question is, "why does Honda use better parts and build a better system than does Ford?"

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Reply to
arkshim

Eh? Why would a maker like Toyota use different electrics by the country? Of course for Euro sales the appropriate lamps and bulbs have to be Euro marked. And the headlights may well be different due to RHD/LHD. But not usually a difference that effects bulb life.

Assuming decent quality bulbs, their life depends on four things:-

The amount of use Vibration Heat Alternator voltage

The only bulb I've replaced on my '97 E39 is the centre brake light - due, I'd say, to the small enclosure causing overheating. It's a bit of an afterthought.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I expect that was intended to be a Lucas joke.

Reply to
St. John Smythe

Or a Lucas reality.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Ah. I get it now. Rather like BMW fitting crap GM auto boxes only for the US market?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Actually Dave the bulb fittings for US cars is notably different from Euro ones as I have found out when a guy bought a set of LHD headlamps for a Rover 827 from me. They were originally fitted to a Rover 827 for use in France and when the car came back to the UK the original RHD lamp units were fitted back. The LHD units were wanted to replace the crap round lights fitted too the US versions. Oops! the lights fitted Ok but couldn't get the bulbs in the US so I had to export a box of 10 LHD bulbs for him.

Hugh

Reply to
hsg