locked out of my car

Hi all

my car on the drive, has a flat battery

i cant get in, each time i turn the key the little thing doesnt go up and wont unlock

It has a expesive alarm system, and i used to open it with the fob not key, but with a flat battery i cant use that, and the key doesnt work too, same for the boot.

its a 92 520

and help would be app cheers

Reply to
Jules

Have you tried the other door?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and the boot

Reply to
Jules

search here and you'll find it... seen it there myself - there are a few tricks to try on the passenger doorlock, OR hotwire the battery and charge it through a light socket (for real!) see here:

SharkmanBMW

thanks sharkman..took a look, somethings to try.

i need to get the wheel bolt adapter anti theft thing out of the car, to change a tyre on my 525 touring, as that didnt come with one....

will let you know how i get on!

Jules

On cars this age the manual lock is on the left side, rather than the driver's side (as on newer cars).

When I left the interior light on in my '93 740i in the garage, I couldn't get to this door so the procedure was: -

Open boot manually. Undo boot light. Carefully identify positive and negative terminals. Attach battery charger, choosing low current to avoid the inrush blowing the fuse. Switch on and wait for ~30mins by when it should be possible to operate the electric locks. Some things like the sun roof may require cycling to reset.

My more recent '00 735i went flat over Xmas (not sure what was left on), and the manual door (& boot) lock worked and there is no lock on the left hand side!

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

he said he cannot access the boot, BUT for those who can, your solution is tried and confirmed to work!

Reply to
SharkmanBMW

i checked manual and a online copy from here, which is useful so i will try again in daylight tomorrow

cant get into boot, ok i cant remember if i ever tried with the key but i know it was wired to the fob or that circuit to the door release

Reply to
Jules

im thinking it maybe a differant lock at the boot, it doesnt even turn at all with the key (i only got 1 key and not the back up??? key)

Reply to
Jules

Sounds like his ignition lock has been replaced, so he has a key that will work the steering lock programmed to unlock the car, but the key does not match the door or boot locks! I suppose he might have a chauffeur key if these are provided on 5 series and the door lock has been changed.

If he can open the bonnet he may be able to charge the battery enough to unlock. Otherwise he will need to take the car's paperwork to a main dealer and order up a door key $$$.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton