M3 2004, fitting an induction kit?

Hi,

I enquired at my local performance garage about changes I could make to my

2004 M3, I knew I'd read that a simple replacement air filter could make a difference in performance.

The guy has told me a Typhoon induction kit is available for my car priced at 238ukp but he can get me 20% off that.

Has anybody fitted one of these and if so are they worth it?

I'm happy enough with the performance of the car, just think it would be nice to be faster than a "standard" M3.

Thanks in advance

Daz

Reply to
Daz

I personally can't recommend anything specific. However, I woudl say be careful of induction kits, as some claim to give great gains (or don't make any claims at all!) and whislt they make all the right noises, actually give a more restricted airflow than the standard airfilter setup.

This is always a hot topic on our forum, so why not register on there (it's free!) and ask the question, as I know quite a few types have been tried and tested on the e36 M3, and some guys have modified their e46 M3's too.

Cheers

Reply to
Russ (www.e36coupe.com)

Daz, be careful. Lots of claims and to be honest I don't think many M3 owners would "hand-on-heart" that the cheaper solutions really make any difference.

Best suggestion is talk to someone like Thorney Motorsport

John can advise you properly about M3 mods. He races and tunes M3s and CSLs. He's good, but not cheap! Alternately DMS tune a lot of cars inc. BMW.

IMHO getting a few extra HP won't make any difference. It's nice to think you'll get/have more but the M3 is not like a supra or skyline you can add "magic" boxes to ;-)

Reply to
TonyK

Tony's right. Changes to the air intake will only make a very small difference and only when the engine is pumping maximum air (ie at very high rpm) and only if the throttle is pegged wide open, otherwise the throttle plate will present a much larger obstruction than the air filter/airbox.

You will get a much bigger bang for your bucks by lowering the final drive ratio (assuming trhat you want acceleration) or by forced induction if you want to take the "Magic box" approach...

Reply to
Fred W

I agree. A friend has a full carbon GruppeM air intake...that makes a difference!

Reply to
Russ (www.e36coupe.com)