Automatic Transmision Tuning

I have a 1994 Eunos Auto transmission, I've had it for about 18 months and love it to bits, The thing is im getting fed up with little Peugeot 106 GTI's and 4x4's pulling away from me on the straights. I've sorted out the brakes and suspension so it handles fantastic, to the point of leaving a M3 standing on the track last week (a very tight twisty go-cart track). I've got a induction kit fitted which didn't really make it much faster but a bit smoother through the revs, also took off the cat and fitted a free flowing silencer. I really fancy a forced induction system, being an Automatic a Supercharger is my choice, but im worried about transmission problems, has anyone else fitted or know of a Turbo/Supercharged Miata Automatic? If so has the extra BHP caused any problems?

Cheers.

Reply to
gixer

I've not heard of any. When you floor the miata from a standing start, what does the RPM go to? You also need to remember that additional torque will cause more wear on the clutch plates or bands. (I don't remember which the miata uses.) I'd think that the supercharger would be a simpler install, and likely be less of a strain on the automatic, since it maxes out at less horsepower than the turbo. ~160-180 vs ~180-220+

Reply to
chuckk

It's mainly the power characteristics that attract me to a supercharger as apposed a turbo, having to contend with kick down is bad enough, can you imagine having to wait for kick down and the turbo to spool up? Ykes. Also because the Automatics change gear earlier than the red line I think it would be difficult to drive and keep it on spool.

Cheers.

Reply to
gixer

I assume you are autocrossing your car. You would do better with a manual transmission and a Torsen LSD if you want to be competitive.

The automatic in your car is very durable and will handle 250 hp. You can run to the rev limiter in low and second without hurting the transmission. The car will do over 40 in first and over 80 in second if you have the 4.10 rear end.

Both turbos and supercharges have been used without problems.

Reply to
Larry Gadbois

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the advice, I'm not to sure what Autocrossing is we don't have that here (Greece) but the car is used daily on the road and at the track 8 times or so a year, the track driving is just a pays ya money, free for all, not a competition as such (until you get overtaken of course). I cannot drive a manual due a disability (1 arm) so an auto it has to be. I have asked around for a LSD but am still waiting for a second hand one to become available. I just wanted other peoples opinions on the Miata auto box before i part with my cash, My Miata is a jap import (RHD) as i couldn't find an auto anywhere else in Europe with AC (it gets bloody hot here in summer), so the other thing I have to worry about is if the auto box does spit it's dummy out it's going to be extremely difficult to get replacement bits for it in Greece.

Cheers.

Reply to
gixer