pipercross induction kit

I own a 1.2 16 V clio(new model) and I am planning to buy a pipercross induction kit.

can anyone tell me wot kind of power increase I will be looking at?

does anyone really tell their insurance about it?

any advice would be appreciated. thanky you Hampton

Reply to
G Hampton

If you are lucky you will get a couple of BHp, but it's possible that you might actually lose power since you might end up drawing warmer air into the engine.

Most people do, yes. Insurance companies will use _any_ excuse they can find not to pay out, so having undeclared mods is too big a risk for most people.

If you want to make a nice induction noise when you are accelerating, then an induction kit is fine, but in terms of power increase per pound its pretty useless, especially taking into account the likely increase in insurance premium.

welcomy, I'm sure.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

just spoke to my insurance company and they told me that I had to be over

25 to modify and drive my car or else they wouldn't insure me. (direct Line) So I guess I won't be buying an induction kit. I am now considering buying a performance replacement filter to put in the airbox. Anyone got any comments about that? power increases? sound?

Reply to
G Hampton

Waste of time and money. You won't get any noise increase (because it's in the airbox) and you won't get any discernable extra power because it's a 1.2 Clio.

Reply to
Scott M

What part of can't modify if you are under 25 and want insurance did you not understand.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

If you try the car briefly with no filter at all, you will probably not hurt the engine (so long as you stay on the road and don't prolong the situation).

A performance filter will be somewhere in between no filter at all, and the stock filter. I would be surprised if anyone could tell a difference though, I certainly wouldn't expect to.

Fact is, a modern engine is not likely to have any significant power hindrance in the induction (or exhaust for that matter) so "improving" these parts won't really liberate anything you haven't already got. It can certainly hinder, though. On the whole, you would be far wiser to pay a bit more on premiums and buy a 1.6 instead IYSWIM.

On older cars like the old rover v8's and the like, a lot of the design is fairly poor and some major increases in power can be had from some intelligent tuning parts and porting and whatnot. Totally different situation, of course.

Reply to
antispam

considering

Morale of the story - put a Rover V8 in your Clio! :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

EVERYTHING i have done to my ax has been notified to my insurance company. Best to do it when you renew ..... do it midterm and they want to charge you for "changes" to the policy as well as the usual hike in premium.

My axgt used to insure for £218 fully comp, 4 years ncb. Now its £340 fully comp. (My bmw is £380 fully comp with its own set of full ncb).

Worth every single penny!!!

-- (Scum Mail Bouncer In use). (Remove "n" from email address to reply directly).

Regards..... Steve.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

I heard that replacing the paper element inside my airbox is not considered as modifying and I will not have to inform my insurance company..but thanks for that helpful comment meatball.

Reply to
G Hampton

lol...sounds good. Anyone know the kind of insurance premium increases for that?

Reply to
G Hampton

I'm not sure you want to know.

Really. :)

And not because it's expensive...

Reply to
antispam

In article , snipped-for-privacy@giz15.SPAMMEDfreeserve.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Anything that isn't standard is a mod. Fitting EBC green pads instead standard mintex papermache pads is a mod. If you have a crash, and the claim assessor comes to have a look, it is unlikely that a panel will be spotted in the air box, but if it is a bad one, and they can see a logo that says K&N, Pipercross etc, and he reports back, first they will say is "Undeclared mod" wether it enhances the car or not.

Best thing to do is tell them everything. They can decide wether it is a notifiable mod or not.

I replaced the standard rotted out mild steel back box on a Skoda Favorit with a stainless lifetime warrranty Sebring with a fancy polished square tailpipe.

I informed Elephant and they said "That is a performance mod, sorry, no cover". Had to go to Liverpool Victoria.

It was quieter because it wasn't rotted, and didn't have a hole in it, and didn't perform any faster, but it was a performance mod.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Approximately zero.

Yep.

I had an induction kit on my last car. It made a nice noise, and looked nice under the engine bay, and didn't need replacing every service. I was pleased with it.

Reply to
Nom

snip

Yup, just ask Burgerman!

Reply to
Jamesy

snip

Yeah, but only if you make the mods at that time, otherwise you're running around in an uninsured car until the renewal time!

Reply to
Jamesy

If it was under the engine bay, wouldn't it get all wet and muddy on the roads?

;)

Reply to
Dan405

Pah !

"and looked nice *IN* the engine bay"

:)

Reply to
Nom

About a zillion times what it is now! Seriously though, if you're a young driver they'll either laugh at you or charge you loads!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Oops, mean't Churchill not Elephant Churchill obviously thought Sebring was a "Classic Boyracer backbox".

LV couldn't give a rats ass, and even for £40 more than Churchill insisted that I go fully comp instead of TPF&T as they prefer to cover modded cars as fully comp, becuase TPFT on the car with the buckets, steering wheel, and exhaust back box came out more than comp.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

That wasnt meant as a dig, but it is what most young boyracers do when they cant afford to do anything else, coz it sonz wikid! Aye

Didnt the FC premium go up with the mods then?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs