Mileage Allowance

I need one of the car salesmen to tell me what the annual mileage allowance is for a used car. I have always thought the number was 12,000 for the USA, except California where the allowance jumps to 15,000.

I am trying to value a car I wrecked, and they are using a number less than

11,000 miles per year for my car, and as a reault they are screwing me to the tune of about $1500 on my car.
Reply to
J Strickland

Dunno if it's any help, but in the UK the average mileage is higher for new cars then reduces after about 3 years. Probably due to most new cars being company owned.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the US there are relatively very few company cars.

For what it's worth.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

But perhaps the same sort of thing applies? Cars bought new and used for business are likely to clock up high mileages and be changed regularly? Then when bought by a 'private' owner do less miles per year? Then down the line become a 'second' car?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It turns out there is an Insurance Industry data source that uses a figure of about 11,500 miles per year, but in Californai the automotive industry rule of thumb is 15,000 miles per year. The auto industry deducts for excess miles at the rate of about $5 per 1000 miles, the insurance industry is deducting at a rate of $20 per 1000 miles. The Auto industry Bible, the Kelley Blue Book, says my car should have about 180k miles, and deducts $175 for my car with 215k miles. The insurance industry says I should have 140k, and deducts just short of $1600 for my excesses.

I found a national study that says the averag annual mileage as of 1995 is about 12,650 per year, which mirrors the estimates of Kelley Blue Book, but Kelley says that California cars go further so they give a bigger allowance before the Deduct starts to kick in. Kelley also Adds to the value if the miles on a given car are below the averages, but my car is clearly a high mileage car -- the question was, how much have I affected the value?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

In the UK at those sort of mileages, it's the condition of the car that determines its value, not a few thousand miles more or less. Few cars manage 200k before being scrapped - although I appreciate journeys are longer in the US.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is no reason to scrap a 10-year old BMW just because there are 200000 miles on the clock. I have no reason to think that my car could not rack up another 100k before it needed to be rebuilt, the right side fender being pushed back two feet notwithstanding.

Reply to
J Strickland

Indeed - but a 20,000 mile per annum average is very high for the UK - most would be nearer 20 years old before getting to this.

Yes, but the cost of that repair might exceed the car's value when it's many years old, so it gets scrapped. Same with the annual MOT here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)