My first ever BMW

HI all Never been here before.

I got my first ever BMW about 4 weeks ago. Its a E34? 1991 520i. I have already done 1400 miles in it.

Im after some links or general advice, i have never had such a modern car, i have always gone for 70's RWD cars, so i can change a plug etc, pads etc but PAS and injetion systems are new to me, even leccy windows!!!

I am in the need of a ball joint, and i belive the viscous coupling fan thing (never had that before) so can tell me where i can source them from in the UK.

I have a few pics of it here, it had done 170,000 when i got it. I got it off UK ebay, the guy had only had it 3 months, he said it was too big compared to his old Golf, i did check with the guy he bought it off(again off ebay) and he had had it for many years, serviced it himself, i use GTX Magnatec as he says thats what he used.

The only problem i had was 24 hours after getting it, hitting a huge deep pothole and daming the wheel and tyre.

It hasnt let me down at all and im off to drive to Berlin in a few months i hope in it.

Can long time oweners tell me the niggles, and the good points with these cars please, like i said i have had 70's cars (all Celica's) and the most modern was a 80's Celica....

May) many thanks

Reply to
Jules

I'm sitting here thinking, "I know Jules. He's never been here before?" So I checked. rec.models.scale! So welcome to a.a.b.

I don't have UK sources, but I do know 5ers of that period fairly well. It is an E34. If you've got a ball joint out, you probably have other front end 'issues' as well. I'll suggest that you plan on replacing at least the two big front control arms (the ball joints are not replaceable separately) and possibly the other pair as well. Parts run about $350-400 here for OEM and somewhat more if you get urethane bushed ams.

Your plug-changing skills will likely atrophy as these cars rarely need them. The FI system is dead reliable (except for vacuum leaks which you'll quickly learn to diagnose). Robert Bentley publishes the best service manuals for these cars and you might want to check into Roadfly's BMW E34 group (I tend to stick to E28s) for E34-specific questions unanswered here.

Just broken in.

OWWW! Maybe even more reason to freshen the front suspension. A used OEM wheel shouldn't run much more than ~$75, but from Wisconsin, I can't help ya out much. Track down some of the UK posters from here like John Burns.

Well, like the Celica, you've gotta get to know it. But it's well worth it. Good luck.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

Eurocarparts is probably the major independant supplier. They do a free cat. and mail order (if you've not got a branch near you), and I've found them great to deal with.

Dave Plowman (News)

You could also consider.

I use a branch not too far from me. They carry quite a good range of BMW parts at competitive prices. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

thats great Mike, cheers

Reply to
Jules

thanks Dave

Reply to
Jules

thanks, i get around a bit!

it pulls and brakes straight, corners well but im getting the underside looked at later.

ta

only thing of concern i can think of is when the timing chain needs replacing.

ta

Never had a German car before, so its all new to me, i know each car has quirks and good points but im pretty happy with the car, esp as i paid less than $900.

Reply to
Jules

I thought you paid ~$1600 for it?

Reply to
adder1969

nope, £600 cash, so thats about $900 i think, or was

Reply to
Jules

Ah, I was thinking you paid =A3800 but I got it wrong. That's about US$1,100 I see you describe it as "fast" - man you must have had some slow cars before! :-)

Reply to
adder1969

Ah, I was thinking you paid £800 but I got it wrong. That's about US$1,100 I see you describe it as "fast" - man you must have had some slow cars before! :-)

Well once the speed gets up its ok, its not as quick off the mark as some other stuff i have had but then they were 70's cars and a lot lighter. Cant remember saying it was fast.....does what i want tho.

Reply to
Jules