that black BMW i bought update

Hi guys

I picked up the beemer Fri night, done 200 miles in it.

Its a 91 520i, so can anyone tell me what E thing it is.

No problems with it, i want to get a works manual so is the Haynes(if avail) the best?

All the electrics work, im not sure what the computer leds mean as i didnt get a instruction manual.

It has a Clifford G5 alarm and imob. Does anyone know about these? Is it as good as the last owner said? i have never had a car with leccy windows, alarms etc, or even a cd player wooo!!

What are the good and bad points about this BMW? the gear changes are fine, it revs nice etc.

If i do the servicing my self, i have changed millions of oil filters, plugs blah blah etc how do i tell the computer its done? Is there a brake wear indicator?

Soz for the daft question, im used to 70's simple cars!

The last long term owner(i contacted thru ebay) said it was a good car, and ran Magnatec GTX so i bought some of that.

couple of pics here of her

Oh there is no lock on the fuel cap, so i want to add one.

ta

Reply to
Jules

E34

There is a Haynes which sort of covers this model, but not the 24 valve twin cam engine which came in round about this time. The give away is if it has a cambelt - that's the earlier single cam engine - the 24 valve has a chain driven system. The auto also became a 5 speed round about the same time. That's obvious by the D,4,3,2 selector.

The other option is to buy the TIS and ETK CDs from Ebay, etc.

If you mean the green ones in a line they tell you when an oil change is due.

No real bad points specific to this model.

Do a Google on BMW E34 service indictor reset.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you want a scare, go to the Honest John website, look a the car by car breakdown section, and then the recalls part of the page. Should give you a good idea if anything has not been done on the car.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

is often worth a look

Reply to
Duncan Wood

E34

Service indicator.

Yes. Make sure you that if you have the install certificate you tell your insurers as it reduces the premium.

Bad parts:

1) Upper track control arm bushes failing. Symptoms are similar to warped discs when braking. 2) Steel breather pipe corroding on top of the fuel tank. 3) LKM (Light Control Module) fault with dry joints on the relays so if you find that you are driving down the road that the dipped and main beams pack up, it's likely to be this. 10 minute fix with a soldering iron or £400 from BMW for a new one.

Jump a few pins on the ECU data connection plug.

Take a look at this website...a wealth of knowledge:

Conor

Thanks Conoer (and other guys who posted)

Just had my first flat in it, its outside my house so must have been a slow puncture, i put some air in but its down again, so thats less than 2 days later of getting the car...etyres have a 255/40 18 inch Yokohama for a hundred quid....way cheaper than the next brand.

Its a 5 speed manual.

Reply to
Jules

Are you sure? The flap normally locks via the central locking. I've a few spare servo thingies if it's not working - they're from older Beemers but are probably the same.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

i just open the flap, no lock/key or switch, i just go and double check

been outside, just opens with my finger, no lock or holding mechanism

Reply to
Jules

I take it the car was locked when you tried this? On older Beemers, a pin comes through from a servo in the boot, locking the flap. I suppose they did away with it to save you having to leave the car unlocked while filling up with fuel.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

One can still lock the car after the flap has been opened.

Reply to
adder1969

yes car was locked, the car has had a repray so maybe it wasnt put back on.

Reply to
Jules

Thanks Duncan

Reply to