New to forum and a problem already.

Hi everyone, I have got myself a 1988 730i and all has been well for a week running great but i parked the car up at dinner time, went into the house for

10 min and came back out to the car, the car is turning over ok but will not fire, no kick or anything, it sounds like the car is not getting fuel, now i know a little about cars having eight Saabs, but not BMW's, the fuel pump fuse is ok, i don't know which relay is which so i can't check that, i can't hear if the pump is running and as far as i know the car does not have an alarm / immobiliser, the car is an auto and i have tried it in park and neutral, but i don't know where to start with the car, anyway thanks for looking at my ramblings and sorry for the long first post.
Reply to
microcat36

microcat36 wrote a GIANT RUN ON SENTENCE:

Tell'ya what - it seems like you're short on periods, and I have plenty of them, so here are some for you to use:

Feel free to insert them after any logical break point in your thoughts, if there is such a thing.

As far as your problem - an engine needs three things to run - air, fuel and a source of ignition. You should try to determine which of these is missing as an initial step in troubleshooting (even on 8 SAABs).

How about you pull out a sparkplug and look at it and smell it..

o - IF it's soaked with gasoline - you have fuel and no spark.

o - IF it's dry as a bone - you have spark and no fuel.

o - IF it's damp with gasoline - you probably have flooded the engine. Press the accelerator all the way down to the floor and crank it - hold it DOWN, do not pump (that does nothing good) - you want to let as much air in as you can to get some of the flooded fuel out of the system.

Report back with your findings - using the provided periods above.

BTW - this isn't a "forum" - it's a newsgroup. Usenet News to be exact. There is a big difference.

Reply to
admin

Sorry, I was soaked to the skin, it was 3 degrees above and pouring with rain/sleet, so i was kind of pissed off. I will do some fault finding tomorrow, as i do know how to fault find but wanted to know if the E32 had a history of either the pump or relay's dying like this. I don't have a manual for the car yet and don't know where anything is on the car. One of my neighbours thought there might be a second fuse and relay under the seat and if i had no petrol at the engine, i was wondering if i could bridged the relay at pin 87 and pin 30 to find out if the pump was working, as i can hear the pump work in my Saab's but not in the BMW. I don't see why it would be flooded as the engine had been running most of the afternoon and was hot at the time and never made any attempt to fire, it just sounded like an engine with the coil lead off and turning over.

Reply to
microcat36

BMW relays are often getting 'sticky' at this age. They're also generally interchangeable, so an old BMW trick is to stick the a/c relay in place of the main or fuel pump relay (either one of which can cause this problem). Your fuse/relay box cover is marked with their locations. If the cover is missing, get one from a junkyard and/or check the owner's manual for locations.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

Worked on the car this morning and got nowhere, i gave up as not having a manual for the car was hopeless, the fuses are marked but there is nothing to say which relay is which, either at the fuse box under the bonnet or the back seat.. I then went to plan 2, the AA. They came out and told me basically what i knew already, i am getting no spark to the leads, i have power at the coil but no spark when turned over, any ideas.

Reply to
microcat36

Hi, I have a similar problem with my Z3, a mechanic friend has been working on it for a while and suspects the Immobiliser, one other small thing it might be is a problem with the key as the immobiiser has to recognise the key to allow it to start, please let me know what solves your problem as it might help me!!

Reply to
Baldy

This car is really doing my head in. I changed the coil, and lead and still no spark, so i am going to check the fusible link as i remembered that the last thing i did before i went inside from the car was to lift the rear seat to check if the connectors were there for the heated rear seats on the 750i sports leather seats i have got for the car. Today i had a wiggle of all the relays and wires under the seat and i then could not get the drivers window to go back up and could not lock the car, undid the battery moved the cables around and put the terminal back on and the windows and locks worked.. Can anyone tell me how many fusible links there are on the car and if it is this could it be if the link is on it's last legs it could it be giving 12v to the coil but not enough amps to start the car, also would the likes of the coil have a fuse anywhere else.

Reply to
microcat36

Well i fitted the new crank sensor and new plugs today and it still will not start, does anyone have any other ideas, could it be the DME and if so, does it have to be the exact part number, or one from any

3=2E0 6 cyl. I have never been closer to cutting my losses and scrapping a car, if i have to put it into a dealer it will cost =A3=A3=A3=A3.
Reply to
microcat36

look up part numbers at bavauto.com. if the part numbers match with another 3 liter beemer engine go for it. did u make sure that it is a no spark condition? is there spark at the ignition coil? is there spark at the plug?if theres spark at the coil but no spark at the plug, id suspect the distributor. do that before you check the dme. Ride hard . fly straight and take no lessons in english or creative writing.

Reply to
varan