noisy on start up

Hi Just got a 318 2003 model and when i start from the cold the engine is noisy as if there is a high power fan running somewhere. What is it please as this noise stops after a couple of minutes. Is it normal and if so should it be noisy or is there something wrong. Many thanks. Kevin

Reply to
kevinw.shaw

Kevin,

Check in the owners manual or at your dealership, but I'd bet this is an air pump used during the initial few minutes after a cold start to reduce emissions. I don't have such a late model-year BMW, but my 2003 has one (air pump) and it sounds just like what you are describing.

Reply to
Fred W

cheers thanks for that should the be pump noisy then as i can hear it in the car thanks kevin

Fred W wrote:

Reply to
kevinw.shaw