overheating fault

i have a bmw 520i 1996 auto,i am getting the temp gauge warning light come on after 15 to 17 miles into a journey, i am losing no water and have been told that the impellas have become detached off the back of the water pump hence the mileage done before it starts to overheat and that this is common on my model can anyone verify this or suggest any alternatives thanks

Reply to
PHIP

Sounds correct. New water pump is about 25 quid mail order and will fix it. Do the thermostat at the same time.

Reply to
John Burns

I agree..the M50 & M52 engines did suffer form water pumps with crappy plastic impellers.

Would be worth checking the viscous fan coupling too though, as this is also a common weakness.

Reply to
Russ (www.e36coupe.com / www.B

When the fan clutch goes bad it has a very unique signature. The engine stays cool as long as the car is in motion (forcing air through the radiator), but overheats when sitting still or moving slowly.

A bad water pump will overheat regardless of whether the car is moving forward or not.

Reply to
Fred W

THANKS FOR THE INFO WILL CHECK THE VISCOUS COUPLING AS WELL BUT MY TEMP GAUGE STAYS STILL ON IDLE AND GOES UP WHEN DRIVING ALONG ?

Reply to
PHIP

think that could be the water pump then....

if the impeller is slipping on it's shaft, it might be just enough to circulate the water when the engine isonly idling, but when the engine speed increases, it slips more and can't circulate enough water.

Reply to
Russ (www.e36coupe.com)

THE IMPELLERS ON THE PUMP I HAVE TAKEN OF ARE METAL,THEY HAVE GOT A BIT OF MOVEMENT ON SO IM GONNA CHANGE IT ANYWAY, AND THE STAT AND GIV HER A RUN TOMORROW CHEERS

Reply to
PHIP

I agree

Reply to