Plastic return hose housing or what?

Hi All,

This weekend I was doing oil change on my car and decided to check all of the hoses. They all looked good except one hose, which felt a bit loose. I touched the hose again and it literally fell off. Then green coolant started coming out.

Hmm, this is weird I thought, the hose was not attached properly. After closer inspection, I noticed that the actual extension on the return hose housing, where the hose is attached to, snapped off. The plastic had deteriorated and possibly could have collapse any time. Luckily, this did not happen while driving.

One end of the hose is attached to the return hose housing. The other end connects to the throttle body. The return hose housing is attached to the engine and has three hoses coming out of it. The first hose goes to the throttle body, the second goes to the radiator, and the third one goes to the firewall (heating).

I need to get a new return hose housing (or whatever it is called).

So, I had look at the BMW ETK and could not find the part number for the return hose plastic housing. It is shown on a diagram but it is not annotated.

Does anyone know the proper name or the BMW part number for this part?

I think the same part is used on the M42 engine and (may be the same) on the M43 and M44 engines too.

Here is the link to the diagram and the images of the part that broke off my engine.

My car is a BMW 318i M40 1990 (manual).

Regards,

Goran

Reply to
MrG3

I did not look at the pics, but I had a radiator virtually disentigrate while I was driving.

You need to concsider the likelihood that you need to replace the radiator, immediately. Not soon, immediately.

The radiator and waterpump are both made of a plastic that grows old and wears out. When the radiator wears out, parts (the inlet and outlet hoses) fall off and the coolant pumps out in very short order. On a good day, the overflow tube breaks off, giving you advance notice of impending doom.

The waterpump impeller is made of the same plastic, and the vanes wear down, causing the water pump to stop pumping.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Radiator dismantling itself, that is really bad; Yes, I do need new water pump and radiator. The car is already 17 years old and I am not sure if those things have ever been changed. Apart from the radiator, water pump and the return hose housing (mysterious part) is there anything else made of plastic in the cooling system?

In meantime I took the part out of the car and noticed that there is no part number on it :(

Here is a close look of the part.

MrG3

I found it. it is called connector and part# is 11531714738.

Reply to
MrG3