Metro cooling system hose fittings...

I've got a lovely little Rover metro SLI 114, that has a strange setup.

All the other Metros I've seen have the water pipes coming from the radiator going into the engine in the opposite position. I.e. the position is reversed, as the pipe from the top of the radiator goes in the top and the pipe from the bottom goes in the bottom position.

But on my SLI its reversed.

I've been having probems with the cooling system, fan switch didn't work, thermostat gone and I'm wondering if my mechanic put the hose pipes in the wrong position.

Or is it possible that my SLI is different from all other Metros I've seen, though the engines look identical.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Garland

As long as the basic engine design is the same, the flow of coolant through the block will be the same in all variants, so the hotter water will exit at the same outlet.

As a guide *usually* the flow (i.e. hotter) hose will be atached to the thermostat housing and the return (cooler) hose will be attached in the vicinity of the water pump.

If your car has had a modified radiator fitted this may open up a new can of worms, though generally hot water goes in the top and cooled water comes out the bottom.

If the hoses have been fitted incorrectly they should look 'wrong' or stretched

Reply to
Steptoe

top of engine to top of rad is the usual way.

fan not working and overheating is usual when the head gasket has failed.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful