Re: [330d automatic] Safe-Gears Only alarm

Thanks for your comment Dave,

I didn't know that was a feature, it does make sense though... it certainly behaves as you described, it is stuck in 2nd gear (or maybe

3rd), revs stay at around 3000 when you are expecting the automatic to shift to 4th... It's then trying to warm up the catalyst as quick as possible.

That was the behaviour during the last couple of days, but today I wanted to check if it was jumping a gear or what was going on so I switched to sport +/-(manual mode), I tried to go to fourth gear manually and didn't allow me, or maybe it did and just stopped (can't remember exactly), the engine was idling, but not pulling forward, the gearbox was not engaged at all... and suddenly I got the gearbox warning light and started running in the "emergency-run program".

Is that behaviour expected or might it be the indication of some problem with the automatic transmission?

I have also noticed that the antifreezer is at minimum level and the car is four years and a few months old so tomorrow is getting changed...

Regards,

U. Hernandez

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> > I decided to take my car on a business trip to Scotland (what a nutter! > > I know). I have been in Scotland for 3 days and it is cold. When I > > start up the car in the morning, no problem, temperature gauge is low, > > 1st gear all right, 2nd gear.... takes a while to shift, it goes up to > > 3000rpm, 3rd gear same story. (it might even go from 1st to 3rd jumping > > 2nd, not sure). The first 2 days behaved like that. > > Staying in second on a cold day from a cold start is a design feature - to > warm up the catalyst as quickly as possible. Since I live in town, I don't > know what happens if you have a cold start and go straight onto the > highway where you could exceed 30 mph. IIRC, the gearbox won't use 5th > gear either until the engine is up to temperature. > > -- > *24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? * > > Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW > To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
I.U. Hernandez

Not changing up may be a design feature to reduce warm up time and reduce emissions.

Bringing up "transmission program" or similar major faults and going into limp home mode is a fault. Whether it is a genuine transmission fault like overfilling, band wear, leakage or just flaky electronics is open to debate, but a trip to the dealers to read out the fault codes is heralded.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton