Castrol Syntec Blend Question?

I need to add some oil, but in checking the oil tag in the window, found out that Subaru dealership used Castrol Syntec Blend. Do I have to go out and find this exact blend or is okay to mix with regular oil? Do you always need to make sure you have the same weight too... if so, does the Subaru Dealership have a certain weight they always use?

Reply to
Mark Williams

Check your manual. In general, folks run lots of different oils and seem to ceaselessly discuss the issue. Any 5w-30 or 10w-40 SM (maybe SL) will be just fine until you can do further research. It's more important to have close to a proper fill level than leave it out for fear of mixing in 15-20% or so that is a little different.

It might help those who wish to respond (and there will be plenty I guess) if you could tell us the year, model, mileage, condition and driving 'style'/usage the car is operated under, time/mileage since last oil change and what the dipstick indicates.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Mixing is fine, won't hurt anything. Generally 10-40 is the weight you want, but better to have enough oil than to drive with it low as you shop for the "perfect" oil.

Reply to
BobN

Any synthetic, organic, or blended oil can be mixed with any other oil as long as they all have the proper API/SAE ratings. In the long term it's probably best to stick with one brand and type due to the different additive packages they use, but in any case mixing them won't harm your engine.

Reply to
mulder

Additional info...

Here is the response from the dealership service department...

"Yes you need to use the same weight if at all possible - 5W-30 - since we use a blend you can add either petroleum based or synthetic oils. Castrol

5W-30 Syntec Blend would be the best choice though."

Reply to
Mark Williams

Hi,

Since the dealer told you the weight they use (5W-30), you're safe using any oil of that weight that meets (or exceeds--e.g. if the book calls for an SJ, SL or SM are fine, etc. The letters work UP with each new spec) the API S-rating you should find in your manual for topping up, as others have said, though I'm one who DOES like to use the same brand and type (a benefit of doing my own changes.)

Castrol Syntec Blend is NOT rare--any auto parts store that stocks Castrol products probably has it. As do many of the "mart" stores. Cost in my area is about halfway between GTX "dino" oil and Syntec "full synthetic" (let's not start down THAT road again, guys!) at the regular parts stores, less of a difference over dino at the "marts."

Good luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Unless you are still breaking in your car you have a perfect opportunity to create your own synthetic blend by adding a quart or so of Mobil 1 5w30 or SuperTech 5w30 synthetic. Now that the winter is over 10w30 is probably even better. There was a link to a very useful article by some insider from the oil industry on the differences in synthetics.

I won't ever use 20w50 again unless I absolutely have to!!!

Reply to
Body Roll

Hi,

SuperTech synthetic (Wal-Mart's house brand) is the same price as Syntec Blend at our local Wally World, and only about $2 more for a 5 qt jug than regular GTX! Might as well just go all the way instead of trying to outsmart the guys who do this for a living, eh?

BTW, I put the SuperTech synthetic in one of my vehicles last change to "test" against the gentleman's comments in that link I posted some time back. At 2500 miles, it seems to work as well to the "untrained eye" as the more costly synthetics I've tried in the past (Mobil 1, Amsoil.) Maybe the guy's really on to something?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I think Mr. Burns voiced an opinion the other day that the oil should not be wasted unnecessarily. If the original poster needed a full oil change he would not have asked the question in the first place. Besides, the oil guy mentioned in his article that even small additions of synthetic to dyno oils add tremendous benefits to the properties of the mix.

Yours, Smithers

Reply to
Body Roll

Understood--perhaps I wasn't clear. I was thinking toward the "next" oil change--thought that's what you were suggesting, too, though in re-reading your post, it looks like I misread. Sorry 'bout that!

Only one suggestion, though, on the present "topping up" situation: the OP should still stick w/ whatever grade is already in the sump even with weather changes coming. Mixing grades is generally agreed to be a less than perfect idea.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Rick Courtright wrote in news:443D76DB.E04606A1 @iname.com:

According to who?

Reply to
Larry Weil

Shall we start with the folks who make the stuff? Add mfrs, mechanics, the list goes on and on...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

He said 'less than perfect'. He did not say damaging or even to be avoided. Explain why you don't agree. If 'perfect' is the grade that A. is among those recommended by the manufacturer and B. is appropriate for the operating conditions of the vehicle , are you saying 'perfection' is better achieved by purposefully choosing a different grade?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl, with due respect, the question ti Rick was "according to who?"

I would also appreciate it Rick could amplify his answer with some background and supportive material.

regards

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Reply to
Tony Burns (permanent dismisse

Sorry, it seems like common sense, but I suppose one could send a sample for oil analysis to see if the viscosity has shifted before one topped up with 1/2 liter. I'll sit back and 'have a cold tube' and some popcorn now!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Tony,

While not everyone has access to industry people to talk to as I did years ago, I seriously doubt there's been a big shift in philosophy within the industry, so that's probably no big loss. Still, anyone can do as I do today: search engines are your friend. :) Try the manufacturers websites, the Bobistheoilguy site, or some of the 2.4 million hits Google returns when typing in "mixing viscosity" for starters. Variations on the search term will probably provide enough reading to keep you busy for the rest of the weekend... :D Happy Easter!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright