Re: E30 325 vs 325e questions

i own a 1986 325. no e/i.is. it has a rev limit of 4500 and gets excelent gas milage. i bought a chip that got my rev up to 5200. and an intake that added 2-5 hp. the chip added 25 hp. im about to convert the exhaust to a performace exuast that bults on to the cat and a muffler that bolts on also. the pipes are not split like the i's but not much of a difference. maybe a few hp. although i whent up against an ix and tied. so the e can stil hold the good gas milage with the mods of an i. so you end up with alot of torque plus just as much hp as an i/is/ix what ever. although there are defenetly less mods availible for the 325/e. and with the performance chip you have to run it on premiem. i only got my bmw for

1500. so i dont give a shit. but it is defenetly not an e though. wich seems strange to me.
Reply to
this_adres

Is it just me? 'cos I haven't got a clue what that post was trying to say.

Reply to
Cichla

Gee, and I thought the questions were quite clearly stated - something about an '86 car, perhaps a BMW, maybe an "e" :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

I translated it as "the owner of this BMW is confused, possibly of limited intelligence, and appears to have concerns over their penis size".

But I'm working from the 1994 phrase book ... things may well have changed since then ...

Reply to
Bear

  1. Yes, it is an e. All eta engines come with 4500 rpm limiters from factory and actually displace 2.7L due to a longer stroke. All non-eta 325 gasoline E30 motors are 2.5L engines with 168HP and 6800rpm limiters.
  2. No chip gives you 25 HP on a BMW motor with only 121 HP to start with. That's complete bull. I will continue to say that until a trustworthy dyno proves me wrong, which will be never.
  3. Your "intake" may actually rob you of power since you've probably defeated the cold-air induction box and are now sucking hot air directly from the engine bay, not to mention feeding more particulate matter to your engine.
  4. If you tied an iX, his motor was tired or he didn't know what he was doing. The iX weighs only 150-200 pounds more than yours, has a traction advantage at launch time, and has a 27 HP advantage even if your rediculous performance claims are all valid -- 47 if they are not. I've done back to back runs on the same road on the same day with the same driver (me) in an iS vs and iX timed with a G-Tech Pro and found the difference to be about .4 seconds 0 to 60. A stock 325e is about 2 seconds slower than a stock 325i. You can't make that difference up with a chip and an intake. My iX weighs
2880lbs wet according to a trade scale.
  1. Your requirement for premium gas and the increased consumption your chip gives you is likely offsetting the fuel economy difference of the eta vs the i motor.

Cheers.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

...or he didn't know he was in a race.

Reply to
joe_tide

Heh heh... well of course that's another possibility.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.