Re: Is it straight forward to adjust headlamps?

Ho do I adjust the headlights on a 540? Is it as straight forward as

>turning adjuster screws behind the lamp? >pete

Josh Assing

It is that straight-forward if the adjusters are not broken. Unfortunately, they are made out of plastic that completely crumbles after a few years. Mine did.

My dealer quoted my $1100 to replace the headlamp. Luckily I have the internet and found multiple sources on how to repair them. $26 in parts from that same dealer.

If they won't adjust and bounce a bit, the adjusters are broken. Go to

for instructions on replacing them.

Reply to
Tom Scales

When I replaced my lenses, I replaced all the plastic bits -- they were, as you noted, crap. I think, including lenses & all the assorted plastic bits & screws, I was well under $300 (more if you count the fog lamps)

Surely the $26 wasn't including replacement lamps, was it? just hte plastic bits.... Replacing the headlamp on a 10-15 year old car (or more) can make a huge difference in light intensity -- they do get sand pitted and blurry.

Josh Assing

You've not got HID lamps, have you? In the UK these are self levelling and this can fail.

One way to do a quick check is on level ground to drive up close to a wall etc, square on, and mark on the wall the centre of the *main* beams. Now back away in a straight line as far as possible. The main beams should be below that mark.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not necessary and not to be recomended IMO. The adjusting screws are a friction fit in the plastic adjusters within the h/light, so are unlikely to move once set, but the main reason they shouldn't be loctited, is that as others have indicated, the adjusters do break When they do, the adjusting screw, has to be unscrewed from the broken part of the plastic adjuster, to allow removal of the broken part, which isn't easily done if the screw is loctited into it's bush. The screw is retained in the h/lamp housing, and is not normally replaced when fitting a new plastic adjuster, which in the UK cost about £8 each. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

No, just the adjusters. They're Xenons and still going strong.

Reply to
Tom Scales