CIGAR LIGHTERS

I have a '95 740il. Recently the Cigar lighters just quit working. I checked the fuses they all looked good. Neither the manual or the fuse box cover tells you which fuse is used for the lighters. I replaced them all anyways. No luck. Anyway had this problem?? Have any ideas??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have to go to the tailor to pick up my custom pants with pockets down to the ankle so I can carry enough money to cover the repairs.

Reply to
Drive740

Your car is obviously very posh. Mine only has a cigarette lighter...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Do they work if you push & hold them in?

On my 92 735, if you push them in, the pop out right away; but if i Push & hold they warm up quicky.

Josh Assing

All I'll say to that DAS is wow.

Reply to
Drive740

Haven't seen a cigarette lighter for years. Look at the diameter of the element...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Presumably you saw the intended humour....but I shall have a look. (Never use the damn thing for anything, not even charging my computer. I took the delete ashtray option.)

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 08:38:05 -0800, Josh Assing waffled on about something:

I'm amazed nobody has improved on the design, IIRC every lighter I've ever seen relies on a bimetallic strip to release them to make them pop out, and as you mention, they all too often fail/bend and won't lock down.

Having said that, my '96 E36 used to do that, previous owner a non-smoker, but after the first couple of weeks of manual press and hold it's now started staying down then popping, although it could do with another couple of seconds.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Mine works intermittently. It's really hard to pull out too. I suspect it is more than the element, but time will tell.

My dealer has ordered one, but he says they are on backorder. He also mentioned that there are many people waiting for one.

I'm thinking of getting two sticks and rubbing them together.

Reply to
joe_tide

No. Theres no power getting to them at all. I wouldn't care but I have the satellite radio that plugs into it.

Reply to
Drive740