REALLY Old Pine Sap removal - Suggestions needed

Folks, I have a car that's been parked under a pine tree for about a 1.5 years. It has dried and crusty pine sap all over it. What is the best product / method for getting it off?

Thanks, Karl North

Reply to
Karl J. North III

Commercial bug remover liquid, naptha or other petroleum distillates, along with elbow grease.

It's a bitch to do and it will take a lot of work. One shortcut is to carefully chip/slice off as much of it as you safely can before having at it with solvents. Maybe someone else here has a miracle cure, but I never found anything better than a slow hard slog with a solvent. Chipping the big lumps away will reduce the amount of it you have to dissolve, and the time it will take.

Like those of us who have been there, you will learn never to leave a car under a pine tree...

Reply to
Dean Dark

Anyone ever tried using turpentine? That would seem to be an ideal solvent for pine sap and I don't think it would harm the finish.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I've used ethanol and it disolves it quite quickly. I hear that Isopropyl works as well. Neither of them will bother the finish.

John

Reply to
John E. Yurkon