Bird droppings and now - oh, the horror - tree sap!

Got a 2002 LLBean OBW. I put it through a hand wash every week or two since its birth. Had it waxed once in the past two years (I know, I know). Anyway, I just moved to a new place where I have an assigned parking space with no choice in the matter. It's under a pair of gigantic oak trees. I have had the occasional bird dropping which I take off quickly with bug'n'tar wipes, but I came out yesterday to find the whole right side of the hood and the passenger window and door covered in clear tree sap. (I went right to the car wash.) So my question is this -

Will this corrode my paint if not washed off immediately? Will waxing more often help keep the sap from adhering?

If it matters, I live in SI, NY.

Reply to
Debra Co

I can tell something *not* to do. Don't use the power windows while there's a big accumulation of sap on the windows. The sap binds the windows to the window seal and overstresses the motor and mechanism.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

excellent point!

Reply to
Debra Co

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I would advise you to wax that area of the car that may be exposed to bird droppings or sap at least once a month. This will keep a protective coating of wax on the car and make it easier to remove. Oak sap shouldn't stain if removed quickly. Pine sap is the worst.

You should also wax those areas that you have removed the sap with the bug N Tar remover because you are removing the wax too. The car should be waxed at least twice a year. More if it's kept outside not garaged.

My shop is in Branchburg, NJ about 40 miles west of you. Call me or Email me with an other questions.

snipped-for-privacy@enter.net

Bob

Bob or Lynda Del Monte

Reply to