NuFinish

I just saw a commercial for NuFinish car polish. I've been seeing commercials for this since I was a kid and am wondering if its claims are even close to truth. Seven bucks (list price) seems to be a good deal for something that is as good as it claims to be. I'm just curious if anybody has tried it and what thoughts there are about it.

Vern

Reply to
Vernon Balbert

I've been using it for years and am happy with it. Consumer reports named it a best buy a few years ago.

Reply to
JimV

You been using it on german paints? IMHO it's junk, and on german paints not only is it junk but it's so bad you'll go back and strip it and put some proper wax on it. Let's put it this way, my dad has a bottle of it in his garage he bought in the 70's. He used it once, then threw it back behind all the stuff he actually uses. Everything I've read about its use on German paints indicates that it leads to cloudiness.

Reply to
marlinspike

And what do you think is so special about "german" top coats? It works fine for me. Your mileage may vary. :-)

Reply to
JimV

"marlinspike" wrote

So, it's not possible that in 30 years NuFinish has changed its formulation? That's like saying, "I bought a Honda econobox in the '70s, it sucked. Honda sucks forever."*

But I did try NuFinish on a Nissan about 10 years ago, and I wasn't impressed either. Not sure if the current NuFinish is any better. On my A4 I've been using Zaino for a few years now and am very happy with the results as well as durability.

Cheers,

Pete

  • Actually, compared to a fine German car, Honda still sucks, but not as badly as those from the '70s. :)
Reply to
Pete

Well, nobody has ever found the difference, though some suspect its those very same ingredients that make the german paints (mostly made by glasurit) illegal in the US (the finished product can be shipped here, but the paint can neither be made nor applied here). It's not just nufinish that clouds german paints, but any polymer based product.

Reply to
marlinspike

Compare a new honda to a 1970's Mercedes or BMW and you'll see that Honda still sucks big time. I don't put my money in companies that don't care about their product.

Reply to
marlinspike

"marlinspike" wrote

Zaino Z2 is a polymer sealant. I have never heard of anyone having issues with it clouding the paint, including myself.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

You bring up a good point about the Zaino as I've never heard a complaint about them, but I have heard complaints about almost every other polymer product. Ignoring the polymer issue, I think there are two rules with NuFinish: you get what you pay for and if it's too good to be true, it is. NuFinish's commercials make it look like a wonder product, therefore it's garbage much like gs27. Also, it's $7...how good can it be? There's no such thing as a miracle product with wax, everything has trade-offs. I say if you're parking inside use P21S if you're parking outside use one grand blitz wax.

Reply to
marlinspike

I can't WAIT to hear you explain how "secret ingredient German paint " is applied to the Spartanburg built cars.

Reply to
spare-me-spam

Um...it's not. That simple. Part of the reason the spartanburg cars' paint don't look alive like the german cars' paints

Reply to
marlinspike

Um...it's not. That simple. Part of the reason the spartanburg cars' paint don't look alive like the german cars' paints

Reply to
marlinspike

Um...it's not. That simple. Part of the reason the spartanburg cars' paint don't look alive like the german cars' paints

Reply to
marlinspike

Oh, and if you don't believe me, it's simple to fact check. Go to a body shop that does a good bit of german car repainting. Ask them if they use the original Glasurit, then ask them why they don't.

Reply to
marlinspike

Sorry about the multi-post. Google groups thing is wierd on the college isp.

Reply to
marlinspike

You need to hang out in the detailing sections of the various BMW enthusiast sites. ;-) Both Zaino and Klass are very highly rated (for polymer sealants). Although, as far as I remember, they're pretty much the only two polymer sealants talked about (I'm sure there are others, but the majority of polymer talk seems to revolve around these two brands).

And, if you're really hardcore, you'll put a P21S/S100 (or similar) topper on top of the Klass or Zaino. ;-)

I agree about NuFinish. I'd be very surprised if it even came close to Zaino or Klass.

Reply to
Darryl Okahata

Would that be the Mercedes with the perenially broken climate control, or the BMW with the leaky head gasket? I'm old enough to remember both...

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

Or the mid-to-late '70's Bimmers that all had faded paint, especially on the hoods?

Floyd - former owner of E21 & E12 faded paint and rusty rocker-panel BMWs

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

There are dozens of products like this, from many wax companies. At the same price point they're all about the same.

Some say a German brand of wax/polish is better for a German car, because it's formulated for German paint. From personal experience this was true back in the

80s -- I had better luck with Bolit and P21s products on my E30 cars. But I think this is a lot less true than it used to be. Paints have become more alike, and so have the waxes/polishes. American wax/polish companies go to great lengths to make their products work on all finishes. It's a very competitive industry. A Mother's or Maguiar's product is probably just as good as as similarly priced P21s, etc. As with many things, you don't always get what you pay for, but you almost never get what you don't pay for.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

Hehe, Klasse was the only one I was thinking about when I said "almost every other polymer product" I don't know what it is about those two. I always do, for a car I wanted to look good and not necessarily have the wax last long, P21S gloss enhancing paintwork cleanser (0, 1, or 2 coats, depending on paint) and P21S wax (1 or 2 coats depending on paint).

Reply to
marlinspike