Re: Pine sap?

This afternoon I parked under a pine tree on my driveway and later this

>evening I noticed whitish/clear sap spots on the roof and a couple of other >spots.. its goupy and probably wouldn't wipe off without leaving even more >of a sticky mess so I parked it inside for the night. > >I've done a bit of reading and people have recommended everything from WD40 >to Pinesol to terpentine to alcohol to various bug and tar removers.. Since >the stuff still seems wet and sticky, whats the best product I should use to >get it off-- I don't think soap and water will cut it this time.

I had just been through this ordeal and the best solution is to use your fingers. All those material you mentioned will soften the saps a bit and you use your fingers to gently rub them off like rubber.

It'll take a while depends on how long have you allowed the saps to remain on your car. Last time I spent a good hour to rub off a dozen or so saps that I dont' think you can take my finger prints anymore afterwards.

It's a pain but ask yourself what's more important, your car paint or your fingers. And the answer is obvious.

Reply to
goldfgn

Kerosene works well and does not, that I have ever seen, damage the paint.

Reply to
Larry Smith

Bacon grease also works for pine sap removal. Of course if you are under 30, you probably have never heard of it.:-{)

Ray Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. - Luke 22:36 KJV

If it has hardened, a mix of car shampoo, water, and kerosene works pretty well. Don't let it harden. Toluene is great, but would worry about paint damage.

A good car wash shampoo followed by a light finish cleaner should remove it as well, if the surface is rough after that, use a clay bar before waxing.

Reply to
R. G. Thompson

Update: The sap was goopy and most came off with regular car shampoo. A fair amount came off onto the chamois and on my fingers.. Took a good hour or so to get the damn stuff off my hands. As for the shammy, can I just toss it into the washing machine or will that destroy it?

The spots that had hardened I managed to get off with Turtlewax rubbing compound. Fantastic stuff-- now my car is blindingly clean :)

Thanks for all the input :)

-Dan

Reply to
DS

I didn't see kerosene in the "laundry list". This always works for us - our cars are parked out under the pines consistently here in the Adirondacks. It takes away the wax, too, but not the paint like compound does. You can only compound so many times...

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

What does a clay bar do to the clearcoat?? 2001 Subaru

Reply to
Jon Salnick

Adirondacks.

Reply to