Rear End Noise

Hello again...

1999 528i 150,000 miles

I have a noise in my read end somewhere, it sounds like it might be expensive.

I just had my tires changed yesterday, so road noise from them is eliminated.

It sounds like a washing machine on the spin cycle when I'm driving. I can hear it when I go slow as well.

I thought it might be my rear rotors, to test I lightly put on the emergency brake but the noise did not change at all while driving. I'm hoping it could still be them though. There is a slight vibration as well.

I'm hoping nothing is bent. My differential seems fine, I changed the oil in it a month ago. This noise has been going on for some time now, it's not getting worse or better.

Could it be a loose or misaligned joint?

Other problems, my ABS/Traction control lights are on as well. I believe this may be related to the noise. Also, my speedometer only sparatically works right now, also like there is a loose wire/sensor.

I think the vibration may have worked something loose on the speedo wiring?

Just looking for some possible ideas on what the problem could be until I get a chance to take a look at it. Any tips on the ABS/Traction control, speedo senor/wiring location would also be helpful.

Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
sehiser

JimV

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1134241948.608998.268440 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Yup. I had the same thing (see "Whats this noise") thread. Noise pitch increases with land speed only? Gears / Transmission / neutral have no effect on sound. Similar freq./pitch to engine revs?

It was - as good folk here pointed out - a bad wheel bearing.

Lordy

Reply to
Lordy