Rear window washer problem (E34 Touring)

I have a 1992 525i Touring.

The rear window washer fluid tank is full, but no fluid is delivered to the window when I push the wiper lever forward. I hear the sound of an ailing motor, a rather unpleasant grinding noise.

The wiper itself works.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how to fix it, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

-- Michael Poplawski Victoria, BC Canada

Reply to
michael.poplawski

It sounds as if one of three things are wrong:

1) The hose from the pump to the sprayer or the sprayer itself is clogged. 2) The intake for the pump is clogged. (The pump is located inside the washer reservoir.) 3) The pump needs replacing.

That's the order I'd check things. You can insert a needle into the sprayer to remove any debris that may be clogging it.

Reply to
Voinin

Assuming the pump/filter is ok, have a look at the section of pipe where it goes from the body of the car to the tailgate itself (near the right hand hinge). The tube can get damaged in this area and every time you operate the washer, water just squirts out of the split and runs down the edge of the tailgate. Open the tailgate nd get someone to operate the washer. You'll see what I mean. You'll have to remove the small cover plate to repair it.

JB

Reply to
JB