Remote opening problem with 2001 330Ci (E46).

Hi, I have a problem with the remote in my key. It seems to open the door with the help of the key when it feels like doing so. Sometimes it works all day long and sometimes it stops working for a week. When I enter the car and put the key inside the ignition, the central lock, unlocks the other doors, but not when I'm opening it up manually using the door. Any ideas what can it be? I lost the second key, so I can't check if it'll work with another one. I borrowed a key from a friend of mine and reprogrammed it. Lets see if it'll work. If it will, that could mean that maybe the battery in my key is dead, or am I wrong? It's the key that charges by induction. I'm wondering if it's possible to get the battery replaced? I can't see any screws there. If my friend's key will work should mean that the battery is dead or there's a loose connection as it does work SOMETIME. In this case, I can always get a second hand key on ebay and replace the electronic part. The question is, if it's possible to open the key or if it isn't the fault of the key what could it be? Kind regards, Raphael

Reply to
Raphael Karwin-Krawczyk

Raphael,

Please try using some paragraph breaks next time - it's next to impossible to suss out what you're asking here or the situation it happens under.. but lets see if I understand it.

  1. You lost your spare key (you might consider ordering a new one)

  1. The key you do have usually doesn't work the remote lock/unlock functions

  2. It sometimes works if you try it while in the ignition

We'll skip all the rest of it...

The key battery is charged when it is in the ignition lock. Take your key for a nice long drive somewhere - perhaps for about 8 hours or so.

See if it then works. If it does - see how long it continues working. If it won't charge up (and your charge circuit seems to be working if I understood #2 correctly), or it won't hold a charge - then yes - your battery in the key sounds as if it's going south. I do not know of any way this battery can be replaced - but perhaps someone else does. It's probably not intended to be replaced - they expect you'll just spring around $200 for a new key if it goes bad.

HTH - and paragraph breaks make it SO much easier to read don't they?

Reply to
admin

Hey :) Yeah, they do, but I was writing my little "essay" right before a meeting = stressed out ;) . As to your points:

1) Yes 2) Since yesterday morning it doesn't work at all. I open the door manually and as soon as I put the key into ignition the central lock comes to life. 3) It always works when in the ignition.

Unfortunately I drive my bmw to work and back. I work sometimes even 7 days a week and frankly speaking I want to sell this car and get a 7 series as the suspension needs to be fixed once every 6-8 weeks on Polish roads and 7 series is suppose to be more durable. I borrowed my neighbours key and reprogrammed it. It seems to be working fine. The thing that really baffles me though, is that sometimes my key work faultlessly for a couple of day and then dies. Any ideas? Regards, Raphael

Reply to
Raphael Karwin-Krawczyk

No ideas except you probably need a new key... I guess since you have nothing to loose (perhaps get the new key and consider this one a spare and try to disassemble it. I suspect disassembly may require a large chisel... and may render it useless when done, but it would be interesting to find out if there is any way to crack one open to replace the battery.

Reply to
admin