Repair Cost of Timing Chain

My 1994 525i has about 145,000 miles on it and it has a noisy timing chain. It is noisy when hot and cold. I have read on here that it could just be the tensioner if it was noisy when cold.

I am wondering what a good price would be to have a garage do that kind of a job. Also, while they are in there, what are some other good parts to get replaced so that I don't have to go back in there and pay labor again to fix something right next to the timing chain area?

Thank you for any advice!

Reply to
oberg.jonathan

I did one on an M42 318iS years ago. Car had been run for too long with a worn ternsioner. I had to to the sprockets, guide rails, tensioner and chain. Parts cost around 250 GBP and it took me a whole day.

I'd try a new tensioner first. You'll need to buy one anyway and it's simple to fit.

Reply to
John Burns