Replacing gear shifting cover (525i automatic)

Ok...you know that plastic stip that covers the slot on the center console that moves when you select a gear? Well mine has been missing for some time now and I finally decided to replace it.

I was wondering, will this be a tedious affair? It's an older 525, 92 to be exact and the interior is nice and tight, rattle free and I'd very much like it to stay that way. I wouldn't want to break any plastic tabs or whatever might be underneath the faux wood center console cover.

All help is appreciated. Thanks and have a Happy New year.

Reply to
Izzyrock

Hello,

I had the same issue.

I solved it with some black tape, just stick a few layers under the plastic strip, don't make it to thick. Holds now already for 5 years.

Best regards, Marcel.

Reply to
Pietje

Remove shift handle; pop out black framing with gear indicators; feed in new black stripping (put gear lever through hole in stripping); replace black framing & shift handle. I suggest doing this in Neutral w/ parking brake on - easier to feed in black stripping this way.

Reply to
phlood