more fixits. :\

Found a spring on the passenger floorboard and was wondering where it came from. Then I noticed a fiddly bit of plastic perched on the shifter. hmm..

Found it.

The button on my parking break broke, the spring sprung.

Not a critical bit, I can set the brake with a pair of pliers till figuring out how to put the button back on. Looks like it threads in which means I have to take the brake handle out. That or epoxy. Think I'll take it apart and fix it the proper way. Just looks like the threads gave out. Not enough plastic to hold.

another project. :)

Reply to
DougW

By the time you get the handle out, you might as well just replace it. If you have the full console and auto trans, you need to pull the console, take the handle off the shifters, and then you can remove the two screws that hold the brake lever platform in place.

Getting the single cable back to the parking adjuster isnt that bad a deal.

Reply to
Lon

Thought about that. But a junker part will probably last about as long as the original did and I'm not forking over the big bucks for a new assembly. They don't sell just the knob. :/

Yep. My center console is a bit more complicated. :)

all I have to do is take four screws out and I havefull access, the cap basically covers a gutted console. I've found that you can actually turn the console a bit, tilt the bezel and lift it off without removing the shifter knob (pain in the butt that it is to remove).

Cool, it was that or just dropping it from underneath.

The plan is to release the brake cable then put some gorrilla glue in the button where the threads gave out and tape it in place till it sets.

I've also thought about simply using JB weld to fill up the hole and retap it for the rod. Although that requires more dissaembly to screw the rod into the button.

Hmm, that or thread repair! I have some thin steel that's perforated both ways for repairing screws in wood. Betting one teeny strip of that would be enough to provide grip. Heck, if it wasn't for the force that spring puts on I'd use my old standby of hotmelt and a couple of toothpicks.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Greg

That's an idea, but I don't think there are any threads left in the button.

Reply to
DougW

Good slow cure epoxy outta take care of it for a few years. Unless there are unlocked ZJs parked in your area a lot....

Reply to
Lon

:) Nah, if it ever gets that bad I'll go rummage through the salvage yards for rollovers. Sometimes you can find parts for real cheap, especially if most of the part is broken. Junk yards are great places to get metal to practice body work and welding on.

Got some JB Weld quik-epoxy, I'll throw that in this weekend.

Reply to
DougW

Doug, I have an 8-ball shift knob that stripped clean as if drilled. I wrapped the shifter with a single layer of teflon tape, put a big wad of J-B Quick in the bottom of the hole and jammed it all the way on. Once that set (don't believe that 5-minute crap!) overnight, I was able to screw it off ( with a rubber pad inside some BIG channel locks) and remove the teflon. Just be sure to wind it on so that it stretches and settles down in the threads. That has held for 7-8 years now and I can still get it off if I need to. I didn't think about it until later, but a couple of grooves in the sides of the knob to allow the epoxy someplace to exit would probably have made it just a bit easier to push all the way down - it took some grunting to finally get the epoxy squeezed out so that the knob set all the way down. Glad I went to the trouble, though - I had to pull the top of the tranny about 2 months later and that is a flaming bitch with the knob in place ;)

Reply to
Will Honea

Now that's an idea!

I might be able to drill a teeny 1/16 hole right into the knob from the side and hit the threaded area. That would be basically invisible.

Reply to
DougW