Droopy Vents

I know that I've read many notes about this subject and I know how to fix them, but.....you gotta understand that I'm a first class klutz. Everything I touch, I break. I've read everything I can find about this but nobody tells me what I need to know.

What is the best way to remove those little plastic rings around the vents? Will they "pop" off if I pry them with a screwdriver?

Thanks

JV

96 Montego (Lil' Blue)
Reply to
JV

Have you read this:

Repair Droopy Eyeball Vents by Phivos Hadjigeorgiou My 1997 Miata has recently caught the "lazy eyeball vents syndrome" that plagues almost all M1 Miatas. the two eyeball vents (located in the center dash fascia -on either side of the emergency lights switch) would not stay where I set them, especially when the aircon was on. So I decided to do something about it, as the price for a new set form the dealership was astronomical.

I thus removed the center console of the car by removing the leather shift knob (turn anticlockwise till it comes off) two screws found at the bottom of the center console compartment, one screw found under the ashtray and the two screws on either side of the forward part of the console. Do not forget to disconnect the electric window controller from its wiring harness as well as the ashtray lamp, so that the console can be removed completely out of the way.

Next I removed the radio (mine is a single DIN unit, with a clip on either side which unlatches by inserting a flat key in either slot (my aftermarket radio came with both keys, but in case yours doesn´t, usually a flat piece of thin metal - in my case the long end of a teaspoon was sufficient to unlatch the clips) and removed all the wiring from it, setting it aside so I could remove the center fascia.

I removed the fascia by unscrewing the single screw located on the lower left of the fascia and then pulling it out. Beware not to pull too hard, as doing so will sever the wires connecting the emergency lights to the dashboard (these can be disconnected by pulling out the connector located directly behind the emergency lights switch.

Looking at the back of the center facia there are 4 metal clips ( 2 for each eyeball vent assembly) holding each eyeball vent in place. I pulled them away from the eyeball vent and at the same time pushed the vent out, thus removing it from the centre fascia. Each eyeball vent assembly consists of a cylinder containing the eyeball vent and the upper rim which comprises the ring around the eyeball vent. On the side of the vent cylinder, there are around 4 rectangular holes into which the upper rim of the eyeball vent fastens with small notches.

Using a small flat headed screwdriver, push each plastic notch back, whilst pulling the rim away from the cylinder. This takes a bit of effort to achieve as there are about 4 of these, and are quite tightly attached to the cylinder. After at least 2 of these are out of the rectangular holes, it is now easier to pull the rim clean off. Once the rim is out, the eyeball vent can be pulled out of the cylinder.

On the inside of the cylinder, you will see three to four strips of velvety material, which in my case was worn out and shiny. This is the stuff that holds that prevents the eyeball vent from moving from the direction you set it to direct airflow. Replace these with new strips of black self-adhesive velvet (this is sold in most hardware stores in Cyprus) or use self-adhesive furniture pads which you can "shave" to the desired thickness. The eyeball is then reinserted into the cylinder and reassembled, but just before the rim is pushed back onto the cylinder hard enough to lock, it is best to check whether the eyeball vent moves around without considerable effort. If it is too tight, remove the material and "shave" it a bit more with a razor before reinserting.

After both vents are fixed, replace them into the center dash fascia and reassemble everything in reverse order to disassembley. Please remember to reconnect all wiring, so as to avoid having to disassemble everything all over again (the most frequently forgotten item being the radio antenna)

Phivos Hadjigeorgiou NIcosia, CYPRUS

Reply to
Pat

What I found works a whole lot easier is to rotate the vent as far as it will go and then glue a teeny-tiny piece of felt to one side. If necessary, repeat on other side. I used those little felt pads you can buy and put on the bottom of stuff to protect the top of your wood furniture. I think they cost a couple of bucks for a pack of 10 or so little "dots".

Did this over 2 years ago and they haven't drooped since.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Thanks for the fine and detailed instructions. As I stated earlier I am really a klutz at taking things apart and then attempting to keeping track of what I have done. Methinks that procedure is way over my head.

I might just stick a toothpick in each one to hold it in place. :)

I do appreciate your reply.

JV

96 Montego (Lil' Blue)
Reply to
JV

WOW!! Thanks...that sounds like something I can actually do. I'm on my way to the hardware store. Now if I can just get those broken toothpicks outta them vents :)

JV

96 Montego (Lil' Blue)
Reply to
JV

Made a short run to my local "craft" shop today. For 75 US cents I picked a package of those little "velour" patches. They fit fine and I put two on opposite sides on the center vents and one each on the window vents. I know it's only been a coupla hours now, but they seem to work great.

JV

96 Montego (Lil' Blue)
Reply to
JV

I assume that you all have simply tried pushing the eye balls vents in after you have set them in the desired position? My vents had been wondering and I was about to take things apart when I read on this news group several years ago that the solution was simply to firmly push them in once they were in the correct position. I now do this and have no problems with wondering vents. I also pull them out before adjusting them. If this doesn't work, then I'd recommend following the directions on miata.net for removal and the suggestions in the above thread to stop the wondering.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

After awhile, the velvet strips wear smooth and that no longer works. My problem is that the strips are creeping out of the eyesockets, and one vent won't stay put.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Ouch! Need a good doctor?

Mike "Red '97" Verive snipped-for-privacy@mverive.com