Stiff Steering (e32)

A weird thing has happened to me twice in the past month. Oddly; both happened as I was pulling into the same parking lot of the local store...

The symptoms are that the steering becomes very "hard" but jerky hard -- as if the power steering pump were slipping -- but the belt is fine & the resevoir is full.

The 1st time it happened, I kept trying to turn the wheel; but it never "recovered" until I stopped & started the car. Today I gave the wheel a good quick "yank" and it cleared up.

Any ideas?

-josh

92 e32
Reply to
Josh Assing

might want to check your pestonin level, sounds like the same thing I had on my e36 right before the rack went. I would suggest checking your ps fluid first, if it isnt clean and relatively clear, purge it all, from the rack as well, flush it out really good and then refill with new fluid and see how it acts. I would also recommend hitting the roadfly message board specific to the e32s. roadfly.com-bmwforums-e32.

Reply to
Corey Shuman

I think you mean *pentosin* as in the brand of hydraulic PS fluid. At first I thought we had drifted off into some medical discussion... ;-)

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I'm sorry -- what is pestonin?

OK -- yes; it smells & looks burnt... I'll change it.

Thanks

-josh

Reply to
Josh Assing

I suspect the filter screen in the bottom of the ATF reservoir is dirty. It's built into the reservoir, unlike older BMWs. Try cleaning it.

Reply to
John Burns

Thanks -- I'll try that -- I'm flushing all the fluids next week... so it'll be an ideal time.

Isn't there a replaceable filter >> A weird thing has happened to me twice in the past month. Oddly; both happened

Reply to
Josh Assing

No, it's built in.

Reply to
John Burns

Thanks...

Amazing -- both ZF reservoirs....Checked two bmw sites..

One advertises "with filter" (about $38 US)

the other does not (alot cheaper) but also sells the filter seperate... (18 and

30 usd)

I think I'll buy from the dealer...

Thanks

-j