Steering problem in 1989 Mercury Cougar LS

Hi everyone,

Hoping I can get some info before I take my car to the mechanic tomorrow. I bought a 1989 Mercury Cougar LS on Friday, and just today (Wednesday), it started making a weird sound when you turn the steering wheel either way. It's loud enough that if you roll down the window, you can hear it outside. It's a bit harder to turn as well, but not like having to yank it like a rack and pinion problem. It was riding like a dream until this happened. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance, Joanie

Reply to
Joanie

======================== Most likely just a power steering leak, now the pump is getting dry causing that sound. If you dont see any fluid leaks you could probably get away with just filling it back up.

Reply to
Scott M

Sounds like the fluid is low, which means there is a leak some where.

Reply to
whatever

As long as it's not a clunk, clank, or bang, I agree with the other responses, check the power steering fluid. A friend had occasional clanking in his '93 and one day a ball joint came loose up front as he was turning, the wheel stuck out almost sideways! They are wonderful cars, check it and enjoy it!

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Thanks, Scott! I appreciate the advice. Maybe I'll try that first. Joanie

Reply to
Joanie

Usually this vintage power steering pump uses Ford Type F transmission fluid. Under duress it turns from red to burnt to black. If the pump is filled up with black fluid the pump could be cooked. You might get lucky by draining out the black fluid and replacing with fresh type F or a synthetic equivalent. Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone