e34 525it radio troubles...

All of the sudden, my stock radio went haywire. Pressing any button causes it to rapidly scroll through the fm band like it's seeking but it doesn't stop. The only button that works is the tune "up" (>) button. It seeks properly & stops when it gets a clear station. The button used to be able to tune manually too (not seek) but doesn't work anymore. When I turn the car off, the anti-theft light blinks & beeps. It does not stop after 5 minutes like the maual states if a button is pushed when the car is off. It just keeps on going. I tried cutting power to the unit (taking off the battery lead) to no avail. Anybody had this happen to them & manage to fix it somehow.

Thanks, phlood

Reply to
phlood

Hello,

To me it looks like the buttons are short circuit. I don't know how they are internelly constructed, if they are PCB tracks then it could be that the pads of the buttons are worn.

What you could do is take them apart, clean them with some cleaner. Next put some charcoal from a pencil on them, that will have them fixed for a while.

Best regards, Marcel, '92 525i, 332dKm.

Reply to
Pietje