UK Extended warranty

Anyone else heard the rumours...

Extended warranty to drop in price (slightly) but an excess of £100 per claim or £250 for "M" cars. Plus batteries and exhausts no longer covered, no MOT insurance either and no accident management!

Having just paid £720 for a 12 month warranty I shall seriously consider changing cars (maybe not BMW) next year.

Reply to
TonyK

Hmmm, why is this then? Quality dropping so they are suffering many more claims perhaps? Or just getting greedy?

I stopped buying the extended warranty a few years ago now, when it rose to £500 odd (you say it's £720 now, jesus!). Since then I've had a rear shock spring snap, which cost £75 to replace (not a franchised dealer I might add), and my clutch is 'juddering' which if I had a warranty I'd get replaced, but as I haven't I'll wait until it gets really bad (it'll cost about £350 to replace). My car has only done 46000 miles, so these last 2 faults are a bit poor for a BMW if you ask me! matty

Reply to
matty

You've got to be *very* unlucky to need 720 quids worth of repairs in the fourth year of ownership.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not in an M5, you don't, especially with labour rates at over £100 per hour. Even replacing a couple of minor items can approach the cost of the warranty.

Oh, and my warranty renewal was £970 last month - don't know where the figure of £720 came from?

Reply to
Philip K

Exactly my concern. I just squeezed two new arm rests from BMW, if this hadn't been paid under warranty that would have been about £400 inc. labour. Then theres the new DSC unit, the new seat assembly, steering column, front brake calipers.

All in under 12 months.

Reply to
Charles

Why am I now Charles!!?

Reply to
Charles

AHEM-HEM-HEM!

Reply to
Jo Ling

Well, once the car is out of basic warranty why stick with main dealer labour rates? And a 'minor' item costs 500 quid or so including the excess?

Dunno either. But you seem to suggest BMW give out extended warranties as some form of charity. They don't - they make a profit out of them. So unless you have a problem car you'll lose out on the odds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)