extended warranty?

hello to the group:

I own a chevy s-10 2001 4.3L 4X4 etended cab with 24,000 miles. factory warrant expires in dec. can get an extended war for $1600 (4 extra years) this war. includes just about everything (except the typicals tires brake pads belts ECT). can also get a powertrain only for $1000. I put on about 7,000 miles a year. also considered bankrolling the money for repairs (if needed) what are your thoughts

thanks snipped-for-privacy@att.net

Reply to
Terry Kohlman
.

extended warranty? Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Thu, Oct 9, 2003, 2:48pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Terry=A0Kohlman) hello to the group:

=A0=A0I own a chevy s-10 2001 4.3L 4X4 etended cab with 24,000 miles. factory warrant expires in dec. can get an extended war for $1600 (4 extra years) this war. includes just about everything (except the typicals tires brake pads belts ECT). can also get a powertrain only for $1000. I put on about 7,000 miles a year. also considered bankrolling the money for repairs (if needed) what are your thoughts

thanks snipped-for-privacy@att.net ~~

Terry, purchase the $1600 dollar warranty.

That's less than $34 a month for a policy that will give you good peice of mind in the next

4 years.

I would suggest you read the policy over real good before you buy it. Sounds a little to good at $1600 for an extended coverage that goes

4 years.

Just be sure the coverage is solid.

Scrib Abell .

Reply to
Scribb Abell

go to

and do some checking.. my parentsbought warrantys for 2 vehicals from them and so far all seems well.. (thowe have not had a claim) Also if you can find someone who sells a C*A*R*S Warranty I would recommend them.. I bought a 4yr. unlimited milage (up to 175,000miles) for $1100. They cover everything but the normal wearable parts and electrical switches.

When looking just compair policys, figure out how much deductable you want (if any) and buy the biggest longest warranty you can stand to spend the cash on.... cheap insurance if you drop a motor or tranny..

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

x-no-archive: yes

IMHO Carmax has one of the best extened warrantys in the business. Of course, you would have to buy a vehicle from them to get it. For those not familiar with Carmax, they sell used vehicles at a "No Haggle" price.

However, for comparison purposes, I bought a '97 GMC Sierra & a '99 GMC Yukon from Carmax. The extended warranty for each vehicle was $1100 for four years/48,000 miles.

The Carmax warranty is bumper-to-bumper, less the usual wear outs, bulbs, battery, brakes, tires, etc. The deductible is $25 per trip (you can bundle problems for the same repair appt.) No deductible, if the same problem occurs again. Warranty can be cancelled anytime, with refund for time remaining. Rental car allowance of $30/day, if vehicle is out of service over 24 hours. Towing allowance. Lodging allowance, if you are out of town.

OHR

Reply to
OHR

Don't go with Warranty Gold. They left over 65,000 people without coverage in June.

snipped-for-privacy@75.TqzKbbSM snipped-for-privacy@.eedf Mike

Reply to
mrswans

I note that you only do 7k miles a year. Thus, your warranty for 4 additional years will only cover you for around 28k miles. $1600 for only

28k miles seems like a lot of money. I would just save the money, get interest on it and have it available in the slim chance you might need it. All of these warranties make money for the warranty companies, which means that for most people, you will pay more for the warranty than you will receive back. On the other hand, you could be one of the unlucky ones and wish you had purchased the warranty. Also, how much is peace of mind worth? Only you can answer that! Now, if you had told me you did a lot of miles every year, or you had a vehicle with a bad repair history, my advice would be different. Regards SF
Reply to
sf/gf

honored at GM. Also as previously mentioned read it FIRST.

Reply to
Shooter 2

I agree with SF, the warranty is a gamble, and the company has the better odds. After all they arent in bussiness to help you, they are there to take your money. If you have $1600 laying around you can probably beat the odds and just save it for repairs. Now if you are the type of driver that abuses the truck, or wont take care of it, it might be different. If you take car of the truck it betters your odds. Read the fine print and see if you are going to get nickel and dimed to death by the deductible. Say the engine burns up because of the old hose that leaked. (thats usually what causes it, a problem that should had been fixed before it happened) Will they cover it or try to weasel out by saying it was your fault for not fixing the hose? I dont know. But just some things to think about. READ THE FINE PRINT Remember, you said"this war. includes just about everything (except the typicals tires brake pads belts ECT)".What exacly are all the ECTs? Probably add, battery, brake rotors and drums, spark plugs, plug wires, dist cap, rotor, exaust system, hoses, light bulbs, and on and on.....I would be interested in reading the fine print just to learn something from it......you know, just to see what you get for $1600. Good luck

Reply to
Scott M

buying these things is like gambling, but as others said, the warranty company has the advantage. why waste your money? they wouldn't be in business if they didn't think they could make some cash.

Don't forget that even GM warranties will try to screw you when things go bad. My friend had an engine computer give out, but warranty wouldn't cover it because according to them, a resistor blew that was outside of the computer, and that resistor wasn't covered, or something stupid like that.

Reply to
chris

thanks snipped-for-privacy@att.net ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ` Re: extended warranty? Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Oct 10, 2003, 12:44am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@HOTMAIL.COM (sf/gf)

I note that you only do 7k miles a year. Thus, your warranty for 4 additional years will only cover you for around 28k miles. $1600 for only 28k miles seems like a lot of money. I would just save the money, get interest on it and have it available in the slim chance you might need it. All of these warranties make money for the warranty companies, which means that for most people, you will pay more for the warranty than you will receive back. On the other hand, you could be one of the unlucky ones and wish you had purchased the warranty. Also, how much is peace of mind worth? Only you can answer that!

Now, if you had told me you did a lot of miles every year, or you had a vehicle with a bad repair history, my advice would be different.

Regards SF ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ SF, what if "I"..... told you that he will very likely need to get that $1800 tranny overhauled in the next 4 years......regardless of mileage......

and that's only the tranny .....what would your advice be then?

Complaint Station for General Motors TOC Address:

Changed:5:21 AMon Sunday, September 8, 2002

JohnnyHotDog....... PURCHASE "A" WARRANTY........be sure it has good coverage and read it over really well.. but.....PURCHASE "A" WARRANTY regardless.

Marsh Monster ~~advice is cheap......auto repairs ain't~~ .

Reply to
Scribb Abell

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ Re: extended warranty? Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Oct 10, 2003, 8:10am (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@sneakemail.com (chris)

buying these things is like gambling, but as others said, the warranty company has the advantage. why waste your money? they wouldn't be in business if they didn't think they could make some cash.

Don't forget that even GM warranties will try to screw you when things go bad. My friend had an engine computer give out, but warranty wouldn't cover it because according to them, a resistor blew that was outside of the computer, and that resistor wasn't covered, or something stupid like that. ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~ Man-o-me-o-my..........

you show can tell who in here isn't concerned with having to pay repair bills on late model vehicals...........

park that trash heap fer a second son..... long enough to take a gander at this.......

Complaint Station for General Motors TOC Address:

Changed:5:21 AMon Sunday, September 8, 2002

comments and eye openers curtesy of......

marsh monster ~:~when in doubt.....get rude~:~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

OMG! after looking at that url I'm gonna sell my Chevy and buy a Ford! :)

Reply to
Scott M

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ Re: extended warranty? Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Oct 10, 2003, 8:10am (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@sneakemail.com (chris)

buying these things is like gambling, but as others said, the warranty company has the advantage. why waste your money? they wouldn't be in business if they didn't think they could make some cash. Don't forget that even GM warranties will try to screw you when things go bad. My friend had an engine computer give out, but warranty wouldn't cover it because according to them, a resistor blew that was outside of the computer, and that resistor wasn't covered, or something stupid like that. ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~ Man-o-me-o-my..........

you show can tell who in here isn't concerned with having to pay repair bills on late model vehicals...........

park that trash heap fer a second son..... long enough to take a gander at this.......

Complaint Station for General Motors TOC Address:

Changed:5:21 AMon Sunday, September 8, 2002 comments and eye openers curtesy of......

marsh monster ~:~when in doubt.....get rude~:~

------------------------------------------- Scott M went running out the door screaming this......

OMG! after looking at that url I'm gonna sell my Chevy and buy a Ford! :) ............................... Scrib Abell writes..

lmao

scrib ~:~hey scott....i can actually read your posts when you don't go over one line~:~

===

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Scrib, what are you seeing? Sometimes I cant read them either, don't see anything. But it seems some can.....Makes no since.

Reply to
Scott M

I have worked for many companies who sell these warranties. not only for automobiles but also department stores (sears, k-mart). All those extended warranties are good for is giving the boss a good bonus at christmas. Its pure proffit for whoever you are purchasing them from. Most of the time, you will not need to use that warranty and if you do, then the repair wont be to much. If it is somthing catastrophic, maybe it was a good thing but alot of companies are puting in more details to live by when using the warranty. hope this helps

brendan

Reply to
vze2nxpx

When I bought my new 2003 Silverado, I got the Extended Warrantee. It's 7 Years 100,000 miles. It was a couple grand, but the good thing is, if I never use it I get it ALL BACK!!! Since I work on cars all day long. I can take care if a lot of little things on the truck myself if need be, but if there's a Major problem I'm at least covered. I don't do a lot of driving. I have a 1 1/2 mile commute. So I don't rack up a lot of miles so I had it increased from 6 years to 7 years for a bit more money. I'm quite sure I won't hit 100,000 miles in 7. Though I am taking more trips in the new truck then I did in my old 77 C10 with no extras.

Reply to
JBDragon

When I bought my 2003 Silverado, I called Geico up to change the insurance over to it. They offered me an extended warranty on the truck. No set number of years, but 100,000 miles "bumper to bumper" excluding tires, brake pads and filters. The cost was $10 a month. Since the insurance on the truck dropped 20 a month from my previous vehicle, I figured this was a good deal. You should have seen the look on the sales managers face when I went in to finalize the paperwork. He did the standard spiel about their extended warranty...only 1900 bucks, what a deal he told me. When I told him I already had it covered, told him what it was costing me, and who it was through, he looked like someone had just stuck a knife in his guts.

Navy Chief

Reply to
John

I suppose there are many schools of thought on these extended warranties. GEICO is a good one, but it can only be purchased on new vehicles, not used. I like CarMax's warranty on the used cars they sell. IMHO, I think it is the best in the business for used cars. One grand covered my 1999 Suburban for the next five years/75,000 miles. The warranty can be canceled at any time, with a prorated refund. Only $25 deductible, with a towing and lodging reimbursement!

Mac

Reply to
Mac

Asked my brother, he has Geico and recently got a new truck. They offered the same thing to him, and it's available on vehicles with less than 11K miles, or you have to decide before you put 11K miles on your new vehicle. He also said the terms could be stretched to be unfavorable to people that mod, here's a quote: "breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, corrosion, misuse or improper maintenance are not covered". It's more an insurance policy than an extended warranty, like a 100,000 mile breakdown insurance plan...

Reply to
Mike Levy