Valve Adjust -- symptoms of over adjusting?

I adjusted my valves yesterday. They were making a lot of clicking noises.

This was my 1st time doing it. It seems a "little" movement yeilded a lot of change. I did use feeler gauges to measure.

While the engine runs much quieter, I notice that it's harder to start now -- it takes about 2-3x longer cranking before it'll start.

Could this be coincedence, or could this be a sign I over adjusted the valves?

Thank you for your time & advice.

Reply to
BMW Owner

Oops -- you probably don't have psychic ability....

1992 735i (e32) M30 6cyl 3.5l eng>I adjusted my valves yesterday. They were making a lot of clicking noises. >
Reply to
BMW Owner

"BMW Owner" wrote

I'd look for a vacuum leak - since you had to remove the valve cover and associated hoses, which on that engine are integral to the vacuum system - my bet is on that, especially if the idle is a little rough. Even having the oil dipstick out is enough to throw off the engine control systems.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Thanks. I did search for a vacuum leak.. Couldn't find one -- I used a can of carb cleaner and shot it at various hoses & connections monitoring the idle for changes. no changes.

The "rough idle" is only brief & goes away. I'm wondering if moisture is building up on something.

Reply to
BMW Owner