1990 525i auto replacement transmission is slipping - no place to add more fluid

At around 210,000 miles, I had my auto transmission replaced with one I got at a junk yard.

It worked fine for a bout 1.5 years. Now it is hesitating going from 1st to second - like it was a manual transmission and you're releasing the clutch very slowly.

I have read it might need more fluid.

I have the Bentley manual and read there are two types of trannys for that car. One where you can add oil and one that never needs oil replaced.

I see what looks like a dipstuick tube in the engine compartment going toward the tranny but I can't get the top off of it.

I don't know if I had a permanent fluid tranny and the tranny was replaced with one that where you can add fluid or vice cersa.

Either way, I need to find out if the fluid is low so I can try this tactic first before I take it to a shop.

Does anyone know how to find out if the fluid is low?

Reply to
NotGiven

The most common symptom of very low oil level is dropping out of gear on a corner where centrifugal force starves the oil pump, or failure to engage drive on a hill from cold due to the same reason. When hot the fluid expands and may then work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does the top of the dip stick have an arrow embossed on it? If so, press the back end of the top in towards the dip stick tube (so the point of the arrow rises up a little) and then lift the whole thing upwards ... it should come out then.

HTH

Reply to
SteveG

Many thanks guys. I will try that technique today to get the dipstick out. Yes, it does have an arrow. There are no instructions in the Bentley manual.

Also, the symptom I am experiencing are:

--Starts out in first gear, then QUICKLY (around 7 MPH) shifts to 2nd gear.

--That shift is the only one where it feels like if it were a manual tranny and you were letting the clutch out very clowly - slow to engage the next gear.

--All the other gears shift fine. I can start off in DRIVE 1 - forcing it to stay in first gear, then shift to DRIVE 2 and the shift is slow. DRIVE 2 -> DRIVE 3 is fine as are the others.

Reply to
NotGiven

I'd certainly try a fluid flush and change - sounds like a valve is sticking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No 91 auto hs "permanent fluid" and I certainly doubt that the Bentley suggests anything other than that.

Your trans has ATF, Dexron III. It should be replaced every 30K miles. You've already been told how to remove the dip stick, now you just need to go check it and service it accordingly.

Brett Anderson KMS

Reply to
KMS - Brett Anderson

It goes in reverse but not forward gears. It's fried - replacing it soon - thanks

Reply to
Notgiven