What is the Year/Model that is the Epitome of Classic BMW Style/Function

Do any of you folks have a preference about which year and model of car is the flagship style that you think of when you think BMW? Which car is the right balance of power and style and maintainability... I think that's a word. Please list street production cars, rather than racing. I have a personal preference, but I'd like to see what I may have missed.

ER

Reply to
Enoch Root

"Enoch Root" wrote

The 5-series is my favorite. E34 with 3.5L or E39 with 3.0L and manual transmissions would be my choice.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Yea, the E39 is more powerful(great car), but I think the E34 style is more of a BMW from my perspective. I also like the 5 series.

My preference is the 530-540(wish they had a 550) E34 style around the 1994-95 years. The E39 is very powerful, but you can't work on it as easily as the E34's. I like the designs of both, but the E39 starts looking a bit like an electric razor.

ER

Reply to
Enoch Root

BMW E30 and E34. Classics.

Reply to
John Burns

Best looking to me is the E34. Best engine for it the largest of the small block 6 24 valve - although the older 3.5 six is great, but a little heavy for handling balance.

E39 6 is really a better car all round, but without the looks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I personally love the E24, the 1987 635CSi / L6. Great shark nose, two door, sleek design with good power.

Reply to
dkraaf

That's a nice looking car. I would certainly pick that up before any 2006 model. The japanese car look with the new models make me sick. This E24 has a very aggressive overhanging nose- haven't seen it before. Very cool.

Reply to
Enoch Root

You have my vote for the 635CSi also. There's one in my neighborhood and when it appears people actually stop talking to watch it go by. Classic Beauty on wheels.

Reply to
Jack

+1

I like the 635's. But I'd have to have a manual transmission and most of the big coupes came with automatics.

An E24 M6 would be blissfull.

Reply to
Fred W

I converted my 635 to a manual, it transforms the car.

Reply to
John Burns

Reply to
Ernie Babin

That is a nice car. Very Sean Connery's James Bond in style.

I'm a tad younger, so I tend to lean towards the middle of the road E34 5 series. But if I had the time/money, that car would be on the list.

Reply to
Enoch Root

Less rust and more chassis stability. They sound nicer though.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

the 535 had the battery shifted to the latter half of the car, making the weight distribution 50/50. the 540 is where things got front-heavy..

Reply to
furious gibbon

My 525 24 valve E34 had the battery under the rear seat - thought they all had.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And overly complex. Done a few jobs on the V8s, nice engine but not as well thought out for maintenance as the older ones.

Reply to
John Burns

Most did. Althought I've a feeling some early 518i E34s had it in the engine bay.

Reply to
John Burns