18,000 miles/year - is that high for a 2003 Camry?

I'm in the chicago area and I'm looking to buy this car from a local Toyota dealer:
2003 Camry SE Sedan 4 DR 2.4L L4 EFI DOHC 16V
Mileage: 49,600 Asking price: $14,995 Negotiated price: $14,100
The Carfax report stated that the vehicle has had one owner, was registered as a personal vehicle in the chicago area. No problem there. Only thing is, the car has been in service for 2 years and 9 months, and has 49,600 miles on it. That's 1503 miles a month; 18,036 miles a year.
The interior and exterior are in excellent shape. The engine looks, sounds and performs just fine. The car handles and rides just fine. I know Camry's are legendary for their reliability and long life - that's why I'm getting one - but is this mileage too high? I'm of the understanding that anything over 15,000 miles a year is considered high. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
18k per year is higher than normal, but not necessarily excessive.
Often high miles in a short timespan means a lot of highway miles, which are easier than stop-and-go city driving. But this car seems to have been used for a long commute...
Average 5 day work week x 4 1/3 weeks per month ------------------------------------ = 21 2/3 workdays per month
1503 miles/month ÷ 21 2/3 workdays/month = 69+ miles per day
Add pictures here
✖
I should add that no, I don't think every single mile was in commuting to work. The mileage is on the high side, but shouldn't be a concern.
Add pictures here
✖
18k per year is higher than normal, but not necessarily excessive.
Often high miles in a short timespan means a lot of highway miles, which are easier than stop-and-go city driving. But this car seems to have been used for a long commute...
Average 5 day work week x 4 1/3 weeks per month ------------------------------------ = 21 2/3 workdays per month
1503 miles/month ÷ 21 2/3 workdays/month = 69+ miles per day
I was doing 180 miles a day for a while, then 90. Now I only do the 90 on the weekends.
Add pictures here
✖

That's about what I have put on my car. Usually with that many miles, much of it will be highway miles which are generally easier on the drivetrain than city miles. I wouldn't worry about the miles, but the maintenance (which you can't get from the report) - you might ask the dealer for the records.
FloydR
Add pictures here
✖

Good point I omitted. Maintenance records are a definite plus.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 13 May 2006 08:08:25 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"

Even if it's brutal stop-and-go traffic?
--
What the heck, I'll play too.
- Dave
Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:

Although it is certainly possible, most _drivers_ would have a hard time tolerating a commute with that much city or traffic jam on the highway. Of course, use of the vehicle on the job (e.g. delivery vehicle, taxi, driving to customers to estimate jobs, etc.) could run up a lot of city mileage.
Timothy J. Lee
✖
On 15 May 2006 07:21:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (Timothy J. Lee) wrote:

Have you ever been to the 75 mile circles around NYC , LA, or San Francisco? <G>
Add pictures here
✖
18,000 miles per year is high for ANY car.
--
What the heck, I'll play too.
- Dave

Slightly, but we're talking about a four-year-old car with roughly 12K per year, which is below average. -Dave
Add pictures here
✖

Ha! I'm putting on about 32,000 this year if I keep up the pace, which will likely actually increase this summer. And... I'm driving less than I used to. 40,000 a year used to be "normal" but I'm not the race fan I used to be, so those recreational outings don't happen any more. Going to Dayton, Ohio next weekend for the Dayton Hamvention, as well as an annual visit to Cedar Point for some rollercoaster riding.
Its 17 miles to work and 20 miles to the movie and gym, and I hit them all about 5 times a week. Then there's the road rallies with the Sports Car Club of America, both running them and laying them out for others to run.
Lotsa people around here, in the Fredericksburg, Va. area commute to work in DC - that's 50 - 60 miles or more per day, 5 days a week, and that's _just_ going to work...
Wanna talk about "high" mileage? 18,000 miles a year is small potatos for a lot of us... Can't wait to move back to the midwest, and a big city like Indianapolis, where everything is much closer together. There's multiple, very nice race tracks in the city (Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indianapolis Raceway Park, the State Fairgrounds, and a little figure 8 place on the SE side), and more available with a moderate drive (Terre Haute "Action Track" 60 miles, and El Dora Speedway in Ohio, 90 miles). I'll be a race fan again. And I don't have to think about 60 - 90 mile drives to get to a good airport, nor 60 miles to get to a good concert, etc.
Dave Head
Add pictures here
✖

(snip)
very
Raceway
and
and
don't
miles
Funny, those years I lived in Indy, I remember being pissed that I had to spend a hour-plus in the car every damn day. 465 is about 52 miles around, so if you sleep on one side, and the job site is on the other side- that's 50 miles a day right there. (and no, even then, nobody goes through town...)
aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖

Well, that's about worst case, and... the traffic on 465 is blindingly fast, compared to around here, plus instead of studying the problem to death, and then maybe building something once every 10 years or so like they do around here, Indy is pretty much continuously improving the situation as they should. Every time I go thru there, the beltway or the big roads thru town are markedly better, with wider roads, more lanes, and better traffic patterns. Thew me for a loop when I was all set to do the left exit onto Shadeland from I 465 eastbound to go north, and it wasn't there - they took out the left exit and made it normal... amazing. And, around here, they even sabotage the roads they do have, such as 295 thru DC, which they rig up with a 45 mph speed limit (ridiculous) that they use to make a mint in traffic fines, even sitting out there at 3 in the morning trapping tourists that are traveling at night to avoid the legendary traffic problems of DC. Of _course_ they're not going to be going 45. I 295 thru DC is less than useless, its dangerous - do 45 and be a mobile roadblock that is likely to get hit, or do 65 and get nailed for a pile of traffic fines, or worse. But corrupt efforts to preclude the need for highway robbers of old, by substuting the police for them, are more important than public safety. Makes me wanna puke.
Dave Head
Add pictures here
✖
Dave Head wrote:

Jeff Strickland wrote:

This is how:
07/07/2003 NICB Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original dealer
07/15/2003 Illinois Motor Vehicle Dept. Orland Park, IL Registered as personal vehicle
08/12/2003 Mileage: 5 Illinois Motor Vehicle Dept. Orland Park, IL Title #T3249062108 Title issued or updated First owner reported Loan or lien reported
04/29/2006 Dealer Inventory Libertyville, IL Vehicle offered for sale
In the above Carfax report, the only mileage entry is at 8/12/2003, and that's 5 miles. And yesterday as I test drove the car, it had 49,600.

My inquiry about whether 18K per year is "high" was mostly from a mechanical point of view. In that if 15K per year is considered average, does any mileage higher than that per year cause excessive wear on the engine, drive train, or other moving parts? Wear and tear that show up years later for example? Was just curious. From the responses in this thread, and from some others I asked, that doesn't seem to be the case. The high mileage should not be a concern at all - provided the car was serviced at regular intervals.
I took the car to two repair shops, and it got a clean bill of health; with the exception of rear brake pads and rear tires that had about 20% life left in them, and a leaky oil pan gasket.
I then took the car back to the dealer, they brought it in their service department, verified the leaky gasket, and replaced it for me. They stood firm on the tires and brakes, saying they met Toyota specifications as for not needed replacement - but at the salesman's desk I did get them to knock off $150 from the price. So I look at that $150 as compensation for the rear tires and brakes I'll have to buy sometime in the next several months.
So I ended up buying the car, and I love it. It's sharp, sporty, in great shape inside and out, extremely quiet, runs like new, and hey - it's a Camry - which means I'll enjoy it for years to come.
Thanks to all who responded!
Add pictures here
✖
Why would mileage per year be important? Only total mileage matters.
Add pictures here
✖
223rem wrote:

As long as the above average mileage is reflected in the price - fine.
Graham
Add pictures here
✖

Nonsense.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

You be sure and try that line when you turn in your leased vehicle that you put 18,000 miles per year onto. You'll be slapped with a "nonsense" excess mileage charge.
15,000 miles per year is normal. Anything above that is high by definition.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 14 May 2006 09:09:18 -0700, Scott en Aztlán

Actually, anything above whatever the lease specifies is "excess".
You *can* get an 18,000 mile lease, if you're willing to pay extra. A lease is simply a contract, whatever is agreed to in a contract (as long as it's legal) is what goes.
That said, I never met a lease I liked enough to actually sign. <G>
Add pictures here
✖