Wheezing Air Conditioner / Fan / defroster

Another question.... Unless my fan/AC is on high, it makes a wheezing noise...um, like a pulsating noise, almost like its breathing, with a hint of a whistle sound. I thought it was just related to the AC, but it happens even without it on.

One more.... Is the front window defroster always going to go on high? It's a bit overbearing at times, but i can't seem to lower the speed. As soon as i mess with the fan speed, it shuts of the defroster setting.

As always....Thanks!! (my apologies if the answers to the above issues lie within the manual)

Reply to
BMW newbie

My '97 E36 does the same thing. I think it's resonance in the air plenum, so I've been ignoring it.

The whole point of the defrost button is to put it on high (and direct the air to the windshield and turn the heat up). It's a convenience button to set several climate control settings at once. You could just direct air to the windshield, turn up the heat, and turn up the fan and get exactly the same effect.

So, when you change the fan speed the defrost light goes out because you're not in full defrost mode anymore, but you're still defrosting the windshield (albeit at a slower rate).

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Sanderson

Thanks a bunch on the defrosting note...

sure would like to cure that wheezing sound....

Tom Sanders> > Another question.... Unless my fan/AC is on high, it makes a wheezing

Reply to
BMW newbie