Windshield crack - 2002 3Series xi

I own a 2002 3Series xi. This afternoon while I was getting back to work after lunch, I got hit by a rock chip on the windshield of my car. As soon as the chip hit the car I saw the hit mark and after like a second delay an almost 6inches long crack appeared on the windshield. By the time I got back to work, that crack was almost 10 inches long. I'm not totally how to go about fixing this thing, I would appreciate if somebody could guide me as to which windshield to go for. The crack is bug enuff to be repaired. I read somewhere on this forum that BMW OEM windshields arent good enuff, is that true?? I would personally wanna go for OEM just to have a mental satisfaction. Is my insurance gonna pay for it?? I have a comprehensive deductible of $500. Its too high, how much a good windshield would cost me?? any good names in the auto glass industry?? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
SD

"SD" wrote

That statement is a little scrambled, I think? Any crack more than about

3-4" is too big to be repaired - you need to replace the glass.

I don't recall seeing any post like that. I would stick with OEM; my experience with others (limited, I grant you) is that they don't fit.

The windshield probably will be $500-$750 (I've never replaced my 330xi's, but that's what others have cost me.) You're probably out-of-pocket for most of it, unless you have a glass rider.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

I agree with Floyd as far as getting your dealer to do it with an OEM part. Also check around and see if any independents can do it too - they are

*usually* a little cheaper. Quality of installation is variable so be careful.

Check with your insurance carrier. Many include windshield replacement as a no cost repair. Some charge a deductible, but it may be less than your full comprehensive deductible.

I've had three windshields replaced and one rear window and I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket.

If I rember correctly, the cost was around $350 for a GM (PPG I think) windshield for a Monte Carlo - much larger than an E46.

Call your insurance guy!

Reply to
joe_tide

Easily settled, the windshield must be replaced. Call a local glass shop and gete a quote, with and without coverage with a $500 deductible.

Chances are it's not worh claiming. Will your insurance go up if you make a comprehensive claim? You don't mention your country so it's hard for us to get too specific. Most places comp claims don't have any repercussions unless you make a lot of them, then they force you to raise your deductible. Save your claims for *real* expenses, claiming here is likely to net you very little.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Had the ws replaced once on my E46 Coupe due to a crack forming because of a stone strike in the black lower left area of the ws.

Absolutely no problems - the insurance fully covered it without a peep, even after I INSISTED that it be done by my preferred BMW dealership AND that they used OEM glass. (Incidentally, they did a flawless job - afterwards you could never tell the ws was not factory fitted.)

My advice to you:

1.) Have it done properly by your preferred dealership - they said they do 12 ws-replacements a week at mine, so no big thing for them. I let them keep the car overnight to ensure the bonding had sufficient time to fully harden before ever moving/flexing the car.

I'd strongly advise against having it handled by sock-puppets like carglass or one of those jocks who comes and does it in 15 mins in your company parking lot.

2.) Make sure you get an OEM ws fitted - especially if your BM has the rain/light sensor and/or you have the 'climatic/tinted' ws option.

3.) If in some way you're not insured for ws replacements, still take the trouble to have it done properly. Might be more expensive, but this is something that could cause you much misery in the long run.

Reply to
Class 1