Northstar engines

I have been told the Northstar is a good, reliable, long lasting engine if maintained properly.

How do you feel about that?

I returned a 99 Deville to the dealer because the engine needed some head work ($5700) only 88000 miles. Was I just unlucky?

Thank you

Smokey

Reply to
oldsmokee

I have a 2001 Deville DHS with a Northstar and it has performed very well except some ignition diodes failed about a year ago.

My dealer told me that it was the 2001 year the Northstar engine was cast from a single block; earlier models were cast from two blocks bolted together.

My DHS has just turned 78000 miles and had the tires replaced and expect to replace the brake pads in about 5000 miles. Two of the tires are original and two were replaced at ~35000 miles.

Reply to
Don Schmidt

Thank you for your comments. May I ask what the ignition diode repair cost? Is this the first brake job?

Smokey

Reply to
oldsmokee

As the bill reads - 60k Miles:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Check Engine Light is on and Vech Intermittantly will stall our, and seems hard starting (My complaint) ELCDIAG Diagnosis of Inspection on Electracal System 156 CC 92.00 (Labor ? my comment) 12575481 Sensor 70.34 12575482 Sensor 83.69 Need to replace both Crankshaft Sensors

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- From the comments of the Service Rep the Sensor problem was fixed on later models.

I haven't had a brake job yet. Soon to have the first one done at 70K miles. The budget went to new tires, balance & alignment - $795

Reply to
Don Schmidt

Reply to
oldsmokee

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:28:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote something wonderfully witty:

Pretty much, but isn't that the case with most things, especially wives?

As I said, most things if properly maintained will last, sometimes it is the cost of the maintenance that is a bitch.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Are you the original owner & did you complete all the scheduled maintenance?

Por Nada

Reply to
The Wolf With the Red Roses

My goodness no. No two wives are the same. You might be able to maintain mine properly, I sure as hell cannot.

Do have any comments about the cost of maintaining a Northstar?

I was the new owner 4 or 5 days. What is your experience relative to a well maintained Northstar. How long do they last in your experience?

Reply to
oldsmokee

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:56:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote something wonderfully witty:

Of course no two are the same, hell some of them aren't even the same all month long. However, my point was; there are low maintenance wives, and then there are high maintenance wives. I think there is some connection between appearance & maintenance.

In 4 or 5 days you put 88K on a Deville? Color me confused. Now if you are saying you bought it used with 88k and returned it in 4/5 days later because of a mechanical problem then who the hell knows how the previous owner treated it.

My experience with both Northstar's, and Caddy's in general is that they take a lickin & keep on tickin when properly maintained. The biggest thing is oil changes (and look-overs while in the shop), good gas, and semi-decent driving habits. Now I've had a problem here & there with every mechanical thing I've ever owned, but that is the nature of the beast. I usually buy new so I know what I am getting to start with. I normally manage about 100K every three years or so without any major problems, and have only had one engine (Chevy 4-bolt main threw a rod) go belly-up prior to hitting 200k.

Reply to
The Wolf With the Red Roses

True. An exception was this caddy. It did not have a mark on it inside and out. No dings in the paint and undetectable wear on the upholstery. When it is to good to be true etc.

Correct, had 88000 when I bought it.

Unfortunately, for me, I will have to stick to "used" if I am going to insist on a caddy.

If I have the next purchase tested by an independent mechanic what should be checked beyond the codes? Compression test and ???? I don't mind some minor repairs. I could set aside $1000. I guess that might cover brakes and tires if needed at the same time maybe a starter too?

Thank you for your comments.

Smokey

Reply to
oldsmokee

One important item would be if the cooling system was serviced at the recommended intervals and if the sealant pills were added. It is likely the pills were added if the service was done by a Cadillac dealer or where reputable service is done on aluminum block engines.

Reply to
Don Schmidt

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:38:30 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote something wonderfully witty:

Why, they have a zero % for five years loan offer now, also very low lease rates.

Don't know about your neck of the woods, but mine has both Certified Inspections with written guarantees from both Independent Shops &/or GM.

If you don't mind, exactly what did you pay for this Cream Puff?

Reply to
The Wolf With the Red Roses

What, the heck, is this rant supposed to be about? If it is a real good Cadillac engine, it will centainly undergo ahard performance requests at ease and run like mad if supposed to do so. That's what I expect from a car and I love driving this thing (Cadillax SRX,

4.6ltrs, 330 hp., 8cyl.,) on Gemany's Autobahns at full throttle (230kms/h and more ) and it performs like a real good racing enginge. NO trouble at all, so far. A bit loud above 5000 revs, yes, maybe, that's all. Just step on the gas and it runs like hell. If you want to have a competititon, run it against an AUDI V6 / V8 or a BMW V8. ZOOOOOOOM!!! It's hell of a fun. Everything else is children's talk. Andreas
Reply to
A. Mueller-Witt

Don Schmidt wrote: DS>One important item would be if the cooling system was serviced at the DS>recommended intervals and if the sealant pills were added. DS>It is likely the pills were added if the service was done by a Cadillac DS>dealer or where reputable service is done on aluminum block engines. DS>

I couldn't agree with you more on the importance of the cooling system maintenance. Change the coolant (GM/Prestone DexCool) at 50Kmi intervals or so and use the GM pellets or the equivalent Bar's Leak Golden Seal powder.

It's not too difficult to do it at home, but if you take it to a shop, please insist on the coolant additives as even some Caddy dealers tend to "forget" about them.

Reply to
Bela

In addition, I don't like the looks of the current cadillacs, lincolns and/or mercedes. Not since about 2000.

I am not aware of certified inspections with written guarantees, in Texas, from either.

$8995 before ttl.

Reply to
oldsmokee

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:38:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote something wonderfully witty:

Yeah, they do take some getting used to. I didn't care for them at all, especially the CTS/SRX. Now I think they are pretty damn cool, let alone very different look for both Caddy & automobile design.

However, as the man said; Ya don't like, what ya don't like.

Oh yeah, 100% from GM everywhere.

Ah, that might have something to do with it.

Reply to
The Wolf With the Red Roses

Sorry I am so late with this. For some reason I cannot access the news from RR any more. They tell me they do not provide News for commercial accounts. Quite abrupt about it.

Do they charge for this service? All GM dealers?

to good to be true. :)

Reply to
oldsmokee

I've got a 99 Deville with a Northstar engine. Overall I'd say is a great engine with a few exceptions. The valve train seems to be louder than cast iron engines. Also mine at 140K has a cylinder head coolent leak. If you start loosing coolent even though there are know leaks in hoses or radiator system that is what is happening. I know this because I have been fighting this battle for a year now and finally figured it out. It starts out with rough starting and then clears up quickly (water in cylinder). I finally figured it out one morning after seeing my mon start the car and white water vapor (more than std catillitic converter moisture) spewing out the exhaust. Went down to the auto store and purchased "Stop leak" and followed the directions and pured the stuff in the radiator filling system and the problem went away. I've been driving it for about 5k miles and its still OK but I know the head gaskets need replacing.

Overall I still think the engine is a great engine. You'll be amazed at the gas millage. The Deville gets 22 in Atlanta traffic and 29 to

33 on the highway depending on the tourain. I have heard that the engine at highway speeds cuts back on cylinder injections. I heard they hit four and then the other four the next cycle but I don't know this for a fact!

You will also be amazed at the power you get form the 32 valves!

Skip

Reply to
Skip