Coil spring replacement

Well, that was a fun job (on my 66 Elky). The shop manual I have said it was similar to first gen Camaros. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what kind of time a pro would put on that job?

I just wonder how much it cost me for the experience, because I know it took me a hell of a lot longer...

lab~rat

Replacing my Coils in my front end of my Camaro was a summer long project for me.

I got tired of the coil compressor decompessing and about taking my fingers off.

The lesson I learned - Next time take it to a professional or pay him to come to your house and install them. Never again will I do that!!

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:04:01 -0500, "Scott" puked:

Around 2am Saturday night I started thinking the same thing, but around 3am I had a pretty good feeling of accomplishment. Well, WE did, as a couple of friends helped me out.

It started as a simple shock replacement...

lab~rat

Good you had people there to help you out. I did by myself.... PITA!

I'm doing a full restoration - unfortunately it had to be done!

Never again though!!

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

It's about a 5.0 hour job;

On an older car with rusted fasteners, but on yours. With the bolts seized in the lower control arm bushings, try for 8.0 by a pro. that's using one coil spring compressor, on the inside of the spring, the one with a hook on each end and threaded rod all the way through.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

I've done it twice on two 68 Camaros. The first one took me longer because it sure was hell cutting coils out of the extremely hard high spring load steel and even harder getting them to seat correctly in the pockets. I had to drop them out I think three times for repositioning. The second time was a breeze, I used a smaller load spring and didn't cut as much out as the other but they both went in like butter. I'd say that it took me about ten hours the first time (3 hours just to cut the springs) and about five hours the second time.

I didn't use a spring compressor or the custom made extension arm for extra leverage that I've seen on a few sites that I've visited. I did use a heavy strap to keep the spring from having any chance of popping out and killing someone, very important by the way, if you like your life and body the way it is now. I didn't add in the time it took me to replace the bushings and ball joints while I was under there.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:42:21 -0400, "Refinish King" puked:

That makes me feel better. There were three of us working on it and it took every bit of 8 hours (I did the prep work myself including renting a spring compressor).

The bad news is I had an electrical fire under the hood in the process, so she's sittin' but not drivin'...

BTW, that's the reason they tell you to disconnect the goddam battery when you do jobs like that. Fortunately, I know the harness pretty well (but we'll see).

lab~rat

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:03:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (RSCamaro) puked:

You're braver than I am. Those springs scare me. BTW, the springs I took out were cut to lower the car, so they just dropped on the floor when I pushed the lower arm down. Nice.

lab~rat

Like I said, I took the precaution of using a heavy strap to keep things safe. I do have a set of spring compressors, both the ones that you use for struts and the set with 4 hooks to be used inside the spring. I felt unsafe using either. Much better to use the weight of the car to compress the springs, that way you don't have to be anywheres near the dangerous part.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to
RSCamaro

You get really close to the starter:

When you're doing the right side.

Sorry to hear about the fire, I hope you get it back on the road soon!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Ron, Not sure how you are using the strap but what about this...???

I "discovered" the a strap idea during my second set of big block springs. I always put them in by dropping the knuckle, (seemed easier than trying to line up the control-arm bolts with all that spring trying to get out!) which puts the lower control arm at a 45 degree angle. The first set I had to literally kick the shit out of the spring(boots,pry-bars,chains...) while holding the center to get it seated in the control arm. Several hours and alot of cussing! On the second set, I ran a ratchet strap(1000lb.???)from the opposite frame rail, over the lower control arm between the bushings, and around the spring. Set the jack under the arm and racheted the spring into place. You need to work the jack and the ratchet strap to prevent the top from popping out...First side took a couple hours (top kept popping out!) Second one took

10 minutes! (Not counting new arm bushings, balljoints, blasting, painting, etc.)

******************DISCLAIMER******************** Do not use an el-cheapo ratchet strap! A safety chain is also recommended. Your life or someone elses depends on it! This method is used at your own risk. Just another idea for all you guys who hate replacing springs. (especially big block!)

FUNNY STORY: My 14 yr old son picks up one of my old sagging coils and figures he would bounce it in the yard. I looked out just in time to see the thing bounce back and knock him on his ass. LMAO! "lots of energy there, huh?"... "Geesss-us, Dad, those things are dangerous" "No,....people are dangerous!"

TIGER~ '68 RS Lowering sucks! Jack-it-up!

Reply to
TIGER

Putting springs in a 68 Fiat 124:

Knocked me off the seat I was sitting on, over a wall. Knocked me out cold!

My jaw was sore, but not broken, saving my sex life, but not my pride.

Refinish King

PS The easiest way to put springs in a SALA GM is: use one of a set of three spring compressors, that have a J hook on each end. With threaded rod all the way through.

Reply to
Refinish King

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:04:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (RSCamaro) puked:

I'm just glad it's done. Well, the front ones, anyway...

lab~rat

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:11:04 -0400, "Refinish King" puked:

The alternator wire pulled loose. At any rate, I pulled the wiring harness apart and it looks like about four wires were affected (besides the alternator wire, which is essentially toast). Tonight I'm gonna break out the soldering iron and heat shrink tubing and hopefully fire it up.

I just cursed myself because anytime I predict a completion time it always takes twice as long...

lab~rat

Take your time:

Do it slow, you aren't in business so you have no need to rush. It gets done right and less chance for the dreaded: "Morning after headache"

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:46:16 -0400, "Refinish King" puked:

About an hour between the raindrops! All that's left is taping the harness back together and putting wire sleeves on. Fired up on the first try! I consider that a lucky deal, but of course I'm only back to where I began before the fire...

lab~rat