engine swap

I have both a 88 camaro with 2.8 l v6 and 88 camaro with 305 tpi engine

the 88 w/305 has front end damage and the v6 is trashed

now help me

what would be involved in switching the good engine into the good car I already know fuel pump would need changed and springs would need to make the trip over and the ecm

but what about the wiring can i just disconnect the wiring harnes under the hood on one and move it to the other or is it much more complacated then that?

anybody already done this with success?

Reply to
ross

How bad is the front end damage? Is the subframe damaged too? If it's just sheet metal damage it would be easier to mount the good front end on the V-8 car.

Gary

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

Rebuild the V6 and give me the V8 harness :)

Seriously, you should be able to swap the harness (it goes into the passenger side at the kick panel, to connect to the ECM) and ecm and it ought to work. The underhood harness plugs in on the drivers side, there's a screw in the middle of the big square connector. I suggest you get hold of a 1988 Camaro GM service manual, though. It would tell you about what's different in the wiring for the different engines.

You realize that you have to swap transmissions also? they use a different bellhousing bolt pattern. And all the hoses and engine mounts and stuff will be different.

Reply to
J Forbes

yes knew about tranny was just worried that I would have to do something under dash other then ecm

the front radiator support is twisted and pretty crappy but have already removed it and got a replacement piece out of an 83 just haven't put it back in yet I really need a garage if it's not to hot to work outside it is raining lately but fall and winters coming and hope to get alot more done on something

just floating ideas about getting at least one of the two back on the road

Thanx

Reply to
ross

Reply to
Jim T

3rd gen F bodies are not built like the earlier cars....

JIm

Reply to
J Forbes