Engine Swap

Just wondering how big of a job is it to swap a 5.0L or 5.7L into a 85 camaro..now here is the stickler..according to the VIN the car came with a

5.0L, but the badging on the car shows 2.8L Multiport or Tuned Port. Anyhow just wondering if its a big job or just a drop in a new motor and drive or do I have to change trannys (4speed auto),radiator, etc. Just want to know what I'm getting myself into before I start.

Thanks

Reply to
<pccb

Give us the first part of the vin #, no need for the numerical sequence at the end.

If the car came from the factory with a 2.8L then the wiring harness, front springs, anti roll bars, ECModule, maybe the brakes need to be changed out. The transmission may or may not need to be replaced depending on the bolt pattern and how much power it is capable of handling. Try one of the third generation sites on the net and do a search in the forums sections, much of the information you'll need has been saved to these sites.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Reply to
<pccb

The engine code doesn't match up to a 1985 Camaro. It does fit the

86' through 89' models as a 173 ci V6. Are you sure that the S in the vin # isn't actually a 2?, this would make it an iron duke 151ci 4 cyl.

Here's the 8th digit vin codes for 1985.

1= 173ci V6 LB8 2= 151ci L4 LQ9 F= 305ci V8 LB9 G= 305ci V8 L69 H= 305ci V8 LG4

Hope that this helps, though it doesn't look like it will. Information came out of the Camaro White Book.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to
RSCamaro

No that's the VIN#..I have the Registration right in front of me..I know it seems very unusual..but the Chilton Manual sys that the Cars origin was in the USA, built in Norwood, Camaro Sports Coupe, Coupe 2dr Sport, the engine was a 5.0L V8 EFE, model usage F, RPO - LU5. But I have no idea. Like I said..my first thought was that they changed serials but all the numbers match up. This is a strange one..I'll do a little more research. But either way the 2.8L that's in it now will have to go...need to make room for a V8. Again if you find any info at all please let me know. Thanks again, Patrick

Reply to
<pccb

Found different set of codes here:

1985 2 151-88 (LQ9) S 173-135 (LB8) F 305-215 (LB9) G 305-190 (L69) H 305-155 (LG4)

According to these the car did originally come with the 173 V6.

Reply to
Leo Navoichick

Reply to
<pccb