gas tank replacement

Hello all ... I am just asking if this is as straight forward as it seems. It appears to be pretty easy ( pair of tank straps, new tank, anti squeak kit ) Can I expect to run into any snags ?? thanks in advance.

Reply to
bla bla bla

Make sure the tank is as empty as possible and that there are no sources of ignition around. No drop lights, pilot lights, etc. It's easier than you probably realize to end your life playing with gasoline. Treat it with great respect.

Reply to
JimV

first disconnect the batt. ! ... do it outside not in a garage ... you don't mention year =BF ... electric or mechanical pump =BF , if electric the wiring harness for the fuel pump comes to mind ... and have an old bedspread/comforter or something like it to set/drop the tank down on .. if you slip and it's on a concrete driveway the chance of a spark being created is a real threat , it will also soak up any spillage .. but nothing wool as static electicity is your enemy with this project .. the tank might not seem so heavy out of the car ... but under it after you've fought with the straps it can be ... my 81 has a vapor tower on top of the tank , and many lines for emission reasons that one might not expect ... so I would consult a manual for your particular year for sure ... and a nice touch is to coat the new tank with undercoating to keep it rusting away like the old one , but just a light coat in the channels for the straps or they won't be able to fit back on ! ... use brake cleaner to get any oily residue off it first though ... and if there is a rubber hose going to the filler neck having a new one on hand would probably be a good idea , as the old one depending on the cars age will more than likely be rotten and cracked ... and also a new gasket/o-ring for the sending unit/fuel pump depending on the year .... finding you have to run off to the auto parts store in the middle of it all ain't fun ... it's a messy PITA , you'll be _glad_ when it's done and over !

Reply to
The ÇLøne

a little VERY important addition that slipped my mind ! ... the locking ring on the top of the tank for the sending unit/pick-up on the standard older style tanks ... do NOT use anything but a block of wood , a dowel , or a brass drift to undo it ... your first impulse might be a screwdriver and a hammer ... I hate to say in my youth I did just that . lucky to still be here ! ... and make sure the sock/filter screen on the pick-up is free from any crap .. good luck

Reply to
The ÇLøne