1994 wrangler gas tank leak

Hello all-

I am the original owner of a 1994 jeep wrangler 4cylinder. I drive this vehicle on and off as it is a second vehicle over the years. Several years ago it started leaking gas off the bank 2 bolts that hold up the gas tank, a few drops here and there and mostly when the tank was full.

About 8 months ago I finally dropped the tank to check it out and there are 2 return vents (apparently) at the top of the tank, one on the left and the other on the right side.

I assumed the gas leak was just the gas sloshing around and coming out the gas barb's located at the top so I bought new gas line for each (it was a bit short for dropping the tank) and also installed 2 screw down clamps to help hold it tight and in place.

Its leaking again and after spending hours doing the last job, Id like to know if anyone has any more input on this problem. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it? Im wondering if maybe the 2 spots it goes into the tank need to be replaced (I cant remember if that is easy or possible).

Just looking for feedback. Thanks in advance. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

They are fitted in with rubber grommets and really shouldn't leak. My

86's tank ones would hold with no leaks when I had to drive with the gas tank on it's side in the back seat. (the tank fell off way out in the bush once)

I know the 'help' brand of parts auto stores carry have various grommets or the $tealer likely can order them.

If the tank is rusty there, you might need some permanent gasket maker or something like that to seal it. Silicone products won't work for raw gas.

Mike

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Jeff did pass the time by typing:

It could be anywhere, but I'd start by checking all the hoses very carefuly and any o-ring snap-fits. It could even be the supply or return lines or a hairline crack.

Look for the big gobs of stuck dust, they usually trail back to the source.

Reply to
DougW

It's the square rubber gromet that seals where the fuel pump is. I had a couple rot out every couple of years.. About 20$ at the dealer. Finally someone told me to coat the seal in vasoline and that one has lasted me much longer. Ya...will see... Nick

Reply to
Nick

Nick did pass the time by typing:

Wonder if you could bed it in some gas resistant RTV or flange selant? Of course that would make it a pain to get at later.

Reply to
DougW

I believe that the problem is that the grommet dries out, or is damaged during installation. The Vaseline hopefully prevents both from happening. When the grommet is installed in the factory, they probably use a lubricant, or rely on volatile oils left over from the manufacturing process, to ease the installation. In my experience RTV is fuel resistant, if you let it cure for long enough. At the least, the acetone smell should be all gone before you try to use it for anything.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

In that case, be ready for a long wait ;-( I ran some tests on RTV to use as a sealant for some designs that had to go into space (2 oz. of hardware, 6 foot stack of paper!) and even under 3 tor vacuum that damned stuff took MONTHS to stop outgassing. There is a variety of it made for fuel systems but last time I looked it up they wanted the proverbial arm, leg, and firstborn for it. I have used it on fuel system gaskets with no problems, but only as a thin coat on the regular paper gasket. I use it there more to make the gasket easier to strip the next time I have to go in than as a real seal, however.

For gas tank seals, I use a coat of dish soap just to make the seal slide into place without twisting or deforming as the plate is installed. Also makes it easier to seat the cap on those blasted lock rings around the fuel pump mount.

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
philthy