Hard shifting problem

1984 Chevy Camaro Z28, AT, "G" code 305ci 8cyl high output engine with 4bbl Quad-Jet carb, 113K miles. Everytime I put the car into drive or reverse from park, the entire car jolts. Likewise, when the AT shifts from first gear to second, there is a huge jolt in the car. This does not occur when the AT shifts from second to third, or third to fourth. Took it to one of the Quicky Lube & Trans places for a quick look, they said that the transmission doesn't look burned or anything and just suggested a $130+ transmission fluid flush.

Before I roll the dice and blow $130, any suggestions on what else might be causing this?

Reply to
84 Z28 HO

Is your speedometer working?

Reply to
JimV

Did they or you look at the universal joints and the torque shaft from the rear to the trans where it mounts ? If it was just hitting a gear hard while driving I'd think more on the lines of the VSS not working or maybe accumulator spring broke or something like that. Not moving sitting going from park to gear could be something loose (trans mount, universal etc...) It still could be a broken accumulator spring which doesn't allow the fluid to accumulate and slowly build it's pressure as applying the clutch. It acts like a shock absorber for the clutch pack.

Trans flush would be a waste of money for the problem I think...

Reply to
69SScamaro

Reply to
84 Z28 HO

They are probably both related to the speed sensor.

Reply to
JimV